Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Humidifier Location Question

1.
Dec 23, 9:10 am show options

Newsgroups: alt.hvac
From: - Find messages by this author
Date: 23 Dec 2005 06:10:26 -0800
Subject: Humidifier Location Question
original | Remove | Report Abuse

My house has a downstairs gas furnace and A/C combination unit and an
upstairs heat pump. There is no basement so space is minimal for the
downstairs unit, but the upstairs unit is located in an unfinished
storage room with good access. The floor space is roughly 1600 S/F
downstairs and 1000 S/F upstairs.

I want to have a whole house humidifier installed, but before I call a
contracor I want to get some perspective on how one unit can handle the

whole house. The installation by the contractor and service (cleaning,

etc) by me will be much easier on the upstairs unit so I favor this
location for the humidifier.

Will the moisture from the upstairs unit migrate downstairs adequately
to make the downstairs living area bedroom correctly humidified?

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message

I want to have a whole house humidifier installed, but before I call a
contracor I want to get some perspective on how one unit can handle the

whole house. The installation by the contractor and service (cleaning,

etc) by me will be much easier on the upstairs unit so I favor this
location for the humidifier.

Will the moisture from the upstairs unit migrate downstairs adequately
to make the downstairs living area bedroom correctly humidified?

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Nothing scientific, but my own experience. I have two cheap hygrometers that
give reading very close with just one humidifier working on one floor. I
don' t know that it is optimal, but seems to work for us. Hygrometers
aside, the comfort level seems about the same also.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

You should be ok no matter where you locate the humidifier, as long as it's
large enough. Humidity travels through air a lot faster than heat does.

wrote in message
ups.com...
1.
Dec 23, 9:10 am show options

Newsgroups: alt.hvac

Posted to alt.home.repair

I would think it would work fine upstairs too. They are pretty easy to
install, and if you are good at following directions, cutting holes in
sheet metal, and have basic mechanical skills, you should be able to
put one in yourself. I highly recommend the Aprilaire 760, which I
have.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dr. Hardcrab

wrote in message
oups.com...
I would think it would work fine upstairs too. They are pretty easy to
install, and if you are good at following directions, cutting holes in
sheet metal, and have basic mechanical skills, you should be able to
put one in yourself. I highly recommend the Aprilaire 760, which I
have.

I would highly recommend one that works:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...406&lpage=none