Posted to alt.home.repair
c_shah

Default Automatic Garage Door

I recently purchased about 15 year old house, I have Sears's
craftsman 1/2 HP automatic garage door opener Model# 139.53513. Anyone
idea how old this garage door opener would be? It suddenly stop
working and when I opened the unit it looks like plastic gears are worn
out. Is that something I would be able to fix it myself. I do not have
owner's manual.

Do you think it is a good idea to buy new garage door opener? any
recommendation on brands? Should I buy chain or belt drive?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Espen

"c_shah" writes:

I recently purchased about 15 year old house, I have Sears's
craftsman 1/2 HP automatic garage door opener Model# 139.53513. Anyone
idea how old this garage door opener would be? It suddenly stop
working and when I opened the unit it looks like plastic gears are worn
out. Is that something I would be able to fix it myself. I do not have
owner's manual.

That unit is almost new!

I just replaced one it must have been 20 years old or more.
At about 5 years the electronic circuit board went,
I replaced the board.
At about 15 years the plastic gear went,
I replaced the gear.
Just a few weeks ago the motor gave up.
I bought a new one, replaced only the
box with light and the wall switch and installed
the new electric eyes. The rest I'm saving for parts.

Do you think it is a good idea to buy new garage door opener? any
recommendation on brands? Should I buy chain or belt drive?

It's a lot easier to replace the gear than to put up
a new unit.

Stay with what you have.
Posted to alt.home.repair
c_shah

Part Number for gear drive unit is 41A287? Do you know that part wil
have instructions on how to install it. Thanks for your help!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin Mormon

Sears is pretty good about supplying replacement parts. I don't know your
skill level, so not sure if you can install it yourself.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"c_shah" wrote in message
oups.com...
I recently purchased about 15 year old house, I have Sears's
craftsman 1/2 HP automatic garage door opener Model# 139.53513. Anyone
idea how old this garage door opener would be? It suddenly stop
working and when I opened the unit it looks like plastic gears are worn
out. Is that something I would be able to fix it myself. I do not have
owner's manual.

Do you think it is a good idea to buy new garage door opener? any
recommendation on brands? Should I buy chain or belt drive?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stubby

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Sears is pretty good about supplying replacement parts. I don't know your
skill level, so not sure if you can install it yourself.

Not anymore. They only guarantee replacement parts availability for 1
year after purchase. I found this out trying to get repair parts for
my lawn tractor. It's just a puppy at 17 years old.

The OP should look at sears.com under parts. That is where the sears
parts outlets order from!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul Stivers

"c_shah" wrote:

Part Number for gear drive unit is 41A287? Do you know that part wil
have instructions on how to install it. Thanks for your help!

I'm at work and don't have the part numbers of my unit with me. It sounds
similar to yours. I replaced the white plastic gears several years ago.
You can order a kit which includes a couple of gears (I think a worm gear
and the big round gear, and some clips gear grease, and maybe washers). I
would definitely recommend the kit. If you replace only the big round
gear, and the worm gear is also worn, then the new gear will just wear fast
again. The instructions that came with the kit were very thorough. The
hardest part was getting the box down to work on. Not that bad though.

Paul S.
Posted to alt.home.repair
c_shah

Really..Can you replace the gear without dismounting the unit. Please
tell me how? I am going to buy the kit...it is around $31 at the sears
parts store...thank you all..much appreciated

just in a ball part how old is my garage door opener will be? Thank you
all

Posted to alt.home.repair
c_shah

Joe,
Thank you for all your help. I am going to install those gears
tomorrow.

Commodore Joe Redcloud wrote:
On 22 Dec 2005 14:45:10 -0800, "c_shah" wrote:

Really..Can you replace the gear without dismounting the unit. Please
tell me how? I am going to buy the kit...it is around $31 at the sears
parts store...thank you all..much appreciated

just in a ball part how old is my garage door opener will be? Thank you
all

Once you have the kit, and compare the parts in it to your unit, it should be
clear as to how you can do this. It's really not a big deal. The instructions do
not even mention removing the unit.

Just make sure to use all of the grease supplied. The failure was really caused
by the original grease which hardened and stopped lubricating. The new grease
won't do that.

Your opener is probably about 20 years old. The one in my house is about the
same age, and it still works like new. I do make a point of lubricating the
chain with lithium white grease every few years. Dirt being attracted to the
chain because of the grease is a non-issue, as the chain moves slowly, and rust
is a bigger enemy than dust and dirt in this case.

Commodore Joe Redcloud

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art

Sometimes if you call Sears they have a part in stock that is supposedly
unavailable if you look online.

"Stubby" wrote in message
Stormin Mormon wrote:
Sears is pretty good about supplying replacement parts. I don't know your
skill level, so not sure if you can install it yourself.

Not anymore. They only guarantee replacement parts availability for 1
year after purchase. I found this out trying to get repair parts for my
lawn tractor. It's just a puppy at 17 years old.

The OP should look at sears.com under parts. That is where the sears
parts outlets order from!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stubby

Art wrote:
Sometimes if you call Sears they have a part in stock that is supposedly
unavailable if you look online.

Not anymore. That was my point. You call Sears Parts and the person
who answers just uses the same web site that you have available.

Posted to alt.home.repair
c_shah

Any reason to use white lithium based grease? What's difference between
WD 40 vs white lithium based grease?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stubby

c_shah wrote:
Any reason to use white lithium based grease? What's difference between
WD 40 vs white lithium based grease?

WD-40 is a drying agent, not a lubricant.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin Mormon

Thanks for the update. That is sad that they aren't as dependable for
replacement parts. Just sucks, that's all.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Stubby" wrote in message
Stormin Mormon wrote:
Sears is pretty good about supplying replacement parts. I don't know your
skill level, so not sure if you can install it yourself.

Not anymore. They only guarantee replacement parts availability for 1
year after purchase. I found this out trying to get repair parts for
my lawn tractor. It's just a puppy at 17 years old.

The OP should look at sears.com under parts. That is where the sears
parts outlets order from!

Posted to alt.home.repair
c_shah

I installed drive gear on the garage door opener. It is working fine.
One thing the garage door is not able to reverse against a 1 inch
wooden piece (I mean "safety reverse")
What should I do now?

.

"Stubby" wrote in message
Stormin Mormon wrote:
Sears is pretty good about supplying replacement parts. I don't know your
skill level, so not sure if you can install it yourself.

Not anymore. They only guarantee replacement parts availability for 1
year after purchase. I found this out trying to get repair parts for
my lawn tractor. It's just a puppy at 17 years old.

The OP should look at sears.com under parts. That is where the sears
parts outlets order from!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Decrease the down force, it should be close to the middle position or a
little less. The adjustment knob is to the right & below the srew
terminals that the photo-cells & wall button hook to. This is not the
down limit (travel) adjustment that is adjusted thru the hole in cover.

Doordoc

Posted to alt.home.repair
c_shah

There are no seeing eyes (Photo-cells) installed on my garage door..

Would that be possible that I can installed on this make and model?

wrote:
Decrease the down force, it should be close to the middle position or a
little less. The adjustment knob is to the right & below the srew
terminals that the photo-cells & wall button hook to. This is not the
down limit (travel) adjustment that is adjusted thru the hole in cover.

Doordoc

Posted to alt.home.repair
g.a.miller

On 22 Dec 2005 11:13:21 -0800, "c_shah"
wrote:

I recently purchased about 15 year old house, I have Sears's
craftsman 1/2 HP automatic garage door opener Model# 139.53513. Anyone
idea how old this garage door opener would be? It suddenly stop
working and when I opened the unit it looks like plastic gears are worn
out. Is that something I would be able to fix it myself. I do not have
owner's manual.

Do you think it is a good idea to buy new garage door opener? any
recommendation on brands? Should I buy chain or belt drive?

I very seriously doubt that the parts are available.
Ihave a Garage door company and I have tried to purchase these.I am
pretty sure the operator is built by chamberlin corp.
To advoid future problems I would Buy a liftmaster belt drive. I
highly Recommend them. I have installed over 300 of them only had
problems with 2 in 7 years. good luck Anthony miller anthonys door
systems

at
http://www.TitanNews.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I recently purchased about 15 year old house, I have Sears's
craftsman 1/2 HP automatic garage door opener Model# 139.53513. Anyone
idea how old this garage door opener would be? It suddenly stop
working and when I opened the unit it looks like plastic gears are worn
out. Is that something I would be able to fix it myself. I do not have
owner's manual.

Do you think it is a good idea to buy new garage door opener? any
recommendation on brands? Should I buy chain or belt drive?

I recommend replacing it. It is probably an old style chamberland
operator, made for sears. I would get a Liftmaster belt drive very
dependable,quiet.
I have a garage door co. Installed over 300 with only problems on 2!
great odds! Any Further asistance contact me at
Chao!

at
http://www.TitanNews.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I recently purchased about 15 year old house, I have Sears's
craftsman 1/2 HP automatic garage door opener Model# 139.53513. Anyone
idea how old this garage door opener would be? It suddenly stop
working and when I opened the unit it looks like plastic gears are worn
out. Is that something I would be able to fix it myself. I do not have
owner's manual.

Do you think it is a good idea to buy new garage door opener? any
recommendation on brands? Should I buy chain or belt drive?

It is not unusual for the gears to go out. Probably had a broken
spring on the door at one point or another. I believe I had a customer
one time that had this model a few years ago and sears no longer
carried the parts.
I would suggest going with a Chamberlin or liftmaster belt drive. Very
reiable models I hope this helped you out
have a great year Anthony at Anthony's Door Systems

at
http://www.TitanNews.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
tbl

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 10:06:37 -0500, Stubby
wrote:

c_shah wrote:
Any reason to use white lithium based grease? What's difference between
WD 40 vs white lithium based grease?

WD-40 is a drying agent, not a lubricant.

I would add, "despite what claims are made on the label".

While it can be usefull for certain applications, as a
lubricant is has a very short useful life, and tends to
become an "anti-lubricant" with age (gets gummy).

Comparing WD-40 to lithium grease for lubricating machinery,
is like comparing water to cooking oil for cooking.

Your garage-door opener is true, heavy-duty machinery, and
needs true, heavy-duty lubrication that is appropriate for
the materials being lubricated.
--
tbl
Posted to alt.home.repair
tbl

On 22 Dec 2005 17:37:39 -0800, "c_shah"
wrote:

Joe,
Thank you for all your help. I am going to install those gears
tomorrow.

No expert here, but I'd still recommend inspection and
re-lubrication every two or three years.

I was going to replace my Chamberlain (same problem), until
I opened it up and saw the robustness of the design. I got
the kit, directly from mfr., and that was 6 years ago. I'm
a happy camper, still.
--
tbl
Posted to alt.home.repair
tbl

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 16:06:16 GMT, Commodore Joe Redcloud©
wrote:

On 23 Dec 2005 06:05:53 -0800, "c_shah"
wrote:

Any reason to use white lithium based grease? What's difference between
WD 40 vs white lithium based grease?

That's like asking what's the difference between a duck and an
elephant. WD-40 is a solvent that is good for cleaning things. White
Lithium grease is a lubricant that will stay on the parts and continue
lubricating for a long time. As a lubricant, WD-40 is about as
effective as water, gasoline, or any other very thin liquid.

WD-40 has it's uses, but this definitely isn't one of them.

C___! I should've read your reply before posting my own.
--
tbl
Posted to alt.home.repair
Rich

These plastic gears generally wear out due to a door that is not operating
properly, improper spring adjustment, and/or improper limit settings.
If the door does not balance throughout its travel it'll put additional
force on the gears. Same goes with an opener that is traveling too far in
either direction.
Improper adjustments can really take its toll on these gears.

So make sure your door is working nice and smooth without binding. The door
should not travel much in either direction when you lift it manually and
stop it throughout its travel.
Set your limits so that the door is firmly closed without bending the rail
up. When the door opener has the door in the open position, it should not
lift the door much higher than point where the springs would have naturally
held the door open to.

Rich
http://www.garagedoorsupply.com

"c_shah" wrote in message
oups.com...
I recently purchased about 15 year old house, I have Sears's
craftsman 1/2 HP automatic garage door opener Model# 139.53513. Anyone
idea how old this garage door opener would be? It suddenly stop
working and when I opened the unit it looks like plastic gears are worn
out. Is that something I would be able to fix it myself. I do not have
owner's manual.

Do you think it is a good idea to buy new garage door opener? any
recommendation on brands? Should I buy chain or belt drive?

Posted to alt.home.repair
tbl

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 20:38:01 GMT, "Rich"
wrote:

These plastic gears generally wear out due to a door that is not operating
properly, improper spring adjustment, and/or improper limit settings.
If the door does not balance throughout its travel it'll put additional
force on the gears. Same goes with an opener that is traveling too far in
either direction.
Improper adjustments can really take its toll on these gears.

Mine (Chamberlain) went out when I was adjusting and
testing. I don't recall bumping the end of travel--I think
I did mine in by running it up and down too many times in
too short a period, with no recent lubrication. I think the
worm and gear got warm enough to weaken, and game over.

But I can sure understand how hitting the end of travel too
hard would sure stress the hell out of things. And quite
easy to do on my 25(?) year old unit.
--
tbl

Posted to alt.home.repair
mark

wrote:

[...]

Note besides making them for sears chamberlin also owns liftmaster.