Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pocket Ref

I was thinking of getting my dad a book called the Pocket Ref, does
anyone know anything about this book? I'm thinking that it may be a
little too "advanced" for him. Is it something anyone can use (do you
have to be really smart/a mathmatical genius to use it)? My dad knows a
lot about all sorts of stuff like welding, electricity, carpentry,
plumbing and auto repair. He hasn't had any formal training but I'm
sure he knows more than those who've had it. He's also the kind of guy
that you'd see on the show Monster Garage. However, he isn't exactly
the brightest bulb in the box and he sometimes refers to himself as the
villge idiot.

Does it sound like this book would be ok for him or would it be too
advanced?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
ups.com...
I was thinking of getting my dad a book called the Pocket Ref, does
anyone know anything about this book? I'm thinking that it may be a
little too "advanced" for him. Is it something anyone can use (do you
have to be really smart/a mathmatical genius to use it)?

Does it sound like this book would be ok for him or would it be too
advanced?

I got my copy from Lee Valley www.leevalley.com a few years ago. I use it
often and it sits right near my computer. There is a lot of basic
information that any of us can use. Formulas, time zones, conversion
factors, weights and properties of materials, the list goes on. Don't sell
dad short. He can use it.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Neckerson

wrote in message
ups.com...
I was thinking of getting my dad a book called the Pocket Ref, does
anyone know anything about this book? I'm thinking that it may be a
little too "advanced" for him. Is it something anyone can use (do you
have to be really smart/a mathmatical genius to use it)? My dad knows a
lot about all sorts of stuff like welding, electricity, carpentry,
plumbing and auto repair. He hasn't had any formal training but I'm
sure he knows more than those who've had it. He's also the kind of guy
that you'd see on the show Monster Garage. However, he isn't exactly
the brightest bulb in the box and he sometimes refers to himself as the
villge idiot.

Does it sound like this book would be ok for him or would it be too
advanced?

Don't have a lot of faith in your own Dad, huh?
sheeeeeesh

Posted to alt.home.repair
DT

It's not "too advanced" at all. In fact it is fascinating just reading though
it to see what it has to offer.

Dennis

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On 22 Dec 2005 04:42:49 -0800, "RicodJour"

I was thinking of getting my dad a book called the Pocket Ref, does
anyone know anything about this book? I'm thinking that it may be a
little too "advanced" for him. Is it something anyone can use (do you
have to be really smart/a mathmatical genius to use it)? My dad knows a
lot about all sorts of stuff like welding, electricity, carpentry,
plumbing and auto repair. He hasn't had any formal training but I'm
sure he knows more than those who've had it. He's also the kind of guy
that you'd see on the show Monster Garage. However, he isn't exactly
the brightest bulb in the box and he sometimes refers to himself as the
villge idiot.

People that are self-taught, have a lot of knowledge in a lot of areas,
and still have the self-deprecating humor (and humility) to call
themselves something like the village idiot, are almost invariably a
boatload smarter than you. Wait some years, you'll see what I mean.

You guys be fair to the OP. He had a lot of nice things to say about
how smart his dad was.

Old joke: Kid goes off to college thinking is father is the stupidest
man in the world. Four years later he returns and is amazed at how
much his father has learned in that time.

Does it sound like this book would be ok for him or would it be too
advanced?

It sounds like he could get some tips from it, it would be useful, and
he could probably point out some things that he'd do a different way.
The Pocket Ref books are about $13 and cover various subjects.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.

Adapt standard door to pocket door---Locks NoSpecialName Home Repair 2 November 14th 05 03:15 AM
Pocket screws AND biscuits? toller Woodworking 9 May 25th 05 11:50 PM
Milling out a simple pocket Terry Metalworking 8 March 10th 05 05:34 PM
Pocket door daler Home Repair 5 March 2nd 05 04:06 PM
Tabletop Clip or Pocket Screw or Miller Dowel Rolling Thunder Woodworking 6 January 25th 05 06:15 PM