Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Default Furnace Replacement question

I guess I hit send by mistake.

The best Kenmore gas has an energy factor of 63. Tankless go from
82-90 a certified rating to use. A Takagi or Rinnai can save you alot
and at near 200,000 btu will heat all the water a household of 3 needs.
I use a 120,000 Bosch and it never needs to be on high with 35F
incomming water.

Get bids on 94.5% efficient furnaces.

In Chgo R 35 is code but R 60 is optimal , insulation has no effect on
mold if its done right, figure what you have in inches and multiply x
3.5 per inch for an aproximate R value. 2 tanks, why, it is a waste over
1, thermal loss up the flue is the biggest thing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

m Ransley wrote:
I guess I hit send by mistake.

The best Kenmore gas has an energy factor of 63. Tankless go from
82-90 a certified rating to use. A Takagi or Rinnai can save you alot
and at near 200,000 btu will heat all the water a household of 3 needs.
I use a 120,000 Bosch and it never needs to be on high with 35F
incomming water.

Get bids on 94.5% efficient furnaces.

In Chgo R 35 is code but R 60 is optimal , insulation has no effect on
mold if its done right, figure what you have in inches and multiply x
3.5 per inch for an aproximate R value. 2 tanks, why, it is a waste over
1, thermal loss up the flue is the biggest thing.

Thanks a bunch to all....great information.

On the issue of 2 water tanks...... is it necessary to replace them as
they are 12 years old?
They do a good job now, but I am a bit concerned that 12 years of
sediment/build-up inside the tanks might have rendered them dangerous
(just my guess since water always has sedimentation/build up)....any
thoughts?

Also, to save on gas bills, I set the water temperature to 120 F (down
from 140 F) on the water tanks. The water does not come out very hot
now, but hot enough for our daily needs.

2 tanks for just the two of us is really not necessary. We can live
with just one. The builder put 2 tanks for some reason ....may be
because the previous owner had a big family and requested 2. I am the
second owner.

Is it ok if I just turn the temperature all the way down on one of the
tanks? Will this effectively shut it off or is it better to disconnect
it physically, I mean the plumbing to and from it?
Since I dont want to use one of the tanks, I dont want the pilot light
to be on, wasting gas.

Thanks.