Posted to alt.home.repair
CFster

Default Measuring for windows

Any quick tips for measuring the rough opening for "new construction"
windows in a home with plaster walls?

I pulled off the inside trim around the window, but the plaster goes right
up to the window casing. I can't see the jackstuds.

Thanks,

-CF

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

CFster wrote:
Any quick tips for measuring the rough opening for "new construction"
windows in a home with plaster walls?

I pulled off the inside trim around the window, but the plaster goes right
up to the window casing. I can't see the jackstuds.

Start chipping the plaster back. The trim will cover your exploratory
excavations.

What's the exterior siding/trim situation?

Posted to alt.home.repair
CFster

"RicodJour" wrote in message
oups.com...
CFster wrote:
Any quick tips for measuring the rough opening for "new construction"
windows in a home with plaster walls?

I pulled off the inside trim around the window, but the plaster goes
right
up to the window casing. I can't see the jackstuds.

Start chipping the plaster back. The trim will cover your exploratory
excavations.

What's the exterior siding/trim situation?

Shakes. Being removed in favor of vinyl siding. So we thought it best to go
with new construction windows rather than replacement.

The contractor is handling that, along with the installation of the windows.

I'll be handling the interior part - putting the trim back on etc. I don't
have a lot of experience with plaster though - what if I chip back to far
(past the trim)? How do I patch it?

Thanks,

-CF

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

CFster wrote:
"RicodJour" wrote in message

CFster wrote:
Any quick tips for measuring the rough opening for "new construction"
windows in a home with plaster walls?

I pulled off the inside trim around the window, but the plaster goes
right
up to the window casing. I can't see the jackstuds.

Start chipping the plaster back. The trim will cover your exploratory
excavations.

What's the exterior siding/trim situation?

Shakes. Being removed in favor of vinyl siding. So we thought it best to go
with new construction windows rather than replacement.

The contractor is handling that, along with the installation of the windows.

I'll be handling the interior part - putting the trim back on etc. I don't
have a lot of experience with plaster though - what if I chip back to far
(past the trim)? How do I patch it?

Let the guy doing the installation order the windows. That way it's
his responsibility if there's a mistake in the order.

Putting the trim back on...? That doesn't always work. You're pulling
the windows and putting in new ones. Why do you think the trim would
be the same size? Murphy's law, if the new and old windows are
slightly different in size, the trim will be short!

Patching the plaster can be done with plaster, setting-type joint
compound (comes as dry powder in a bag and you mix it up - Durabond is
one brand name).

Hie thee to a library and check out their home improvement books.
They'll answer a lot of your questions and give you a good overview.
If you're stuck, post again.

Jet cabinet saw, measuring tape [email protected] Woodworking 9 September 11th 05 12:20 AM
Measuring power consumption Bob Eager UK diy 20 May 25th 05 01:59 AM
Laser Measuring device SidKnee UK diy 3 April 22nd 05 03:59 PM
Buy American? Starrett measuring tools..... Jay Pique Woodworking 62 September 11th 04 04:29 AM
Measuring Devices / Tape Measures Nick Bozovich Woodworking 37 January 6th 04 01:57 AM