Posted to alt.home.repair
long eddy

Default How much for that boiler please?

Looking for a replacement for a Burnham V14A-T Oil Boiler purchased in 1989.

Would like to get a few suggestions from the group what the price of a
comparable boiler would be today.

Happy holidays to all...
Eddy

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rush Limballs

Buy one online from ebay. You'll be amazed at how much the SOB grade five
dropout tecks are trying to rip you off on the unit.
"long eddy" wrote in message
Looking for a replacement for a Burnham V14A-T Oil Boiler purchased in
1989.

Would like to get a few suggestions from the group what the price of a
comparable boiler would be today.

Happy holidays to all...
Eddy

Posted to alt.home.repair
long eddy

"Rush Limballs" wrote in message
Buy one online from ebay. You'll be amazed at how much the SOB grade five
dropout tecks are trying to rip you off on the unit.

-------------------------

It looks like they Burnham's run about $2,800.00 to $3,500.00 depending on
the model - BTU's, etc.

Any idea what's the time to install one of these?

If it's five or six hours X $50 to $75 per hour or about another 400.00 for
labor - it would run $3,200.00 to $4,000.00 for material and labor.

I've got a quote at about $5,000.00.

I live in New York - upstate.

Feedback please.
Thank you.

Happy holidays,
Eddy

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

My boiler job had apx 32 hrs on a simple install, 8 hrs fixing issues.
They knew what they were doing as I know them and saw the job
completely. Im sure with getting everything together 40 hrs was figured
but near 52 was spent total on a small residential unit. Your boiler is
not old, why replace unles a condensing unit is used, a regular unit
will be apx the same in efficiency. Depending on unit you buy and labor
and local rates who can say, nobody.

Posted to alt.home.repair
long eddy

"m Ransley" wrote in message

My boiler job had apx 32 hrs on a simple install, 8 hrs fixing issues.
They knew what they were doing as I know them and saw the job
completely. Im sure with getting everything together 40 hrs was figured
but near 52 was spent total on a small residential unit. [balance of post

snipped]
--------------------

40 hours! Ugh.

BTW, what would happen if you need a boiler installed in the winter and it
was 30 degrees during the day and about 15 degrees at night.

Wouldn't your pipes freeze? Along with your family?

Or is the installation of a boiler something that should onlt be done in the
spring, summer and fall?

I thought that the installation of a boiler would be a day - why did it take
a week?

Please advise.
Thank you.
Eddy

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

It took a day, started at 6am 3 guys, but im also including clean up,
getting parts, planning, etc etc etc and bleeding 22 radiators, Actual
instal was maybe 25 hrs but alot more must be figured in to do and
finish a job. I helped bleed radiators. Heat was on at 6 pm. before they
came I cranked the house to 79f and it never cooled below 66 or so, sun
can keep you warm in daytime.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stubby

Dr. Hardcrab wrote:
"long eddy" wrote in message

"Rush Limballs" wrote in message
.. .

Buy one online from ebay. You'll be amazed at how much the SOB grade five
dropout tecks are trying to rip you off on the unit.

-------------------------

It looks like they Burnham's run about $2,800.00 to $3,500.00 depending on
the model - BTU's, etc.

Any idea what's the time to install one of these?

If it's five or six hours X $50 to $75 per hour or about another 400.00
for
labor - it would run $3,200.00 to $4,000.00 for material and labor.

I've got a quote at about $5,000.00.

I was quoted $3000 to replace a 100,000 BTU Burnham boiler. But the
plumber advised me that boilers don't wear out with use. Nor does the
efficiency go down. The fuel savings will never pay for itself in my
lifetime.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Dr. Hardcrab

"Stubby" wrote

I was quoted $3000 to replace a 100,000 BTU Burnham boiler. But the
plumber advised me that boilers don't wear out with use. Nor does the
efficiency go down. The fuel savings will never pay for itself in my
lifetime.

That is partially true. Boilers can crack and leak, fireboxes can collapse,
but most do not "wear out". If the one you have is working and not
nickle-and-diming you to death. Let 'er go til she IS broke....

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

True they wear well but if it is oversized or inneficient you can have a
payback. most are 80% or so , new can go to apx 94%-96% efficient.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stubby

m Ransley wrote:
True they wear well but if it is oversized or inneficient you can have a
payback. most are 80% or so , new can go to apx 94%-96% efficient.

My plumber said that is true for the new, vent-less units. These are
very expensive. He said I'll never see the breakeven point.

Sime boiler, year old, never worked properly Tricky UK diy 3 December 1st 05 07:56 PM
Condensing Boiler News RedOnRed UK diy 0 April 9th 05 05:37 PM
Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
Boiler TP valve problems? Linc Vannah Home Repair 9 May 8th 04 02:20 AM
Near death boiler + replacing a boiler David Hearn UK diy 9 January 26th 04 12:44 PM