Posted to alt.home.repair
Timo

Default small bathroom solutions

Apologies if this comes through more than once, my newsgroup account is
acting up.

Are there any companies in the US who specialize in tubs and showers for
small bathrooms, like ravak.com in Europe? I'm looking for a
tub/shower/surround/doors combination with a ~48" x ~29" tub.

I've found a small tub, the Huron from American Standard, but they don't
make a tub surround or the shower doors.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Timo
Posted to alt.home.repair
ameijers

"Timo" wrote in message
Apologies if this comes through more than once, my newsgroup account is
acting up.

Are there any companies in the US who specialize in tubs and showers for
small bathrooms, like ravak.com in Europe? I'm looking for a
tub/shower/surround/doors combination with a ~48" x ~29" tub.

I've found a small tub, the Huron from American Standard, but they don't
make a tub surround or the shower doors.

Other than for bathing small children or dogs, a tub that small is useless.
And if you put doors on it, you can't even use it for that. Can't even
honestly call it a full bath when you advertise the place for sale. Better a
precast or custom shower base, and solid surface panels, or one of those
trimmable 'universal' surround kits for the walls. Any glass company can
make you a door kit to whatever dimensions you need. It'll cost a lot more
than one of the standard size kits from the big box, but it will look
better, since it will be an exact fit, and not have those telescoping side
rails the cheap kits use to make them adjustable.

IMHO, the footprint you have available calls for a custom walk-in shower.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've never seen anything that small in the US. It'll probably have to
be custom made or you'll have to do it your self.
I saw lots in Japan when I was there, including a complete bathroom
about 2.5 times the size of of a 747 toilet. It was made by Hitachi,
all one unit, looks like they just dropped them in place, wired them
in, hooked up the plumbing, done.
Richard

Posted to alt.home.repair
Timo

Unfortunately, shower is not in the cards. Building codes, if I'm not
mistaken, mandate minimum 32" sides for a shower, but we don't have that
depth from the wall. We have about 30" till we meet the doorframe:

_ ___________________________
^ |...................
|......TUB..........toilet
30" |................... ( )
_
_ sink
|_____________________________

A 48"x27" tub is not "useless" -- but I do agree that you cannot lie
down in it stretched out. We don't intend to sell any time soon and
anyone who wanted something bigger could always replace it with a
standard tub. We do have a standard tub now, and it actually abuts the
toilet tank, the room is that cramped. I don't know what the builder was
thinking in the late 1940s when this house was laid out.

For now, I'd like a shower and my wife wants a bath, and she'd be fine
with 48". The only way we can get a shower into this room is to make it
part of the bath-tub unit, because of the code.

I was aware of the custom-glass option, but was hoping to avoid the
additional cost. There's far more choice on the European market --
building codes there seem aimed more at safety in materials and methods
of construction than in mandating sizes.

Regards
Timo

ameijers wrote:
"Timo" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Timo

Unfortunately, shower is not in the cards. Building codes, if I'm not
mistaken, mandate minimum 32" sides for a shower, but we don't have that
depth from the wall. We have about 30" till we meet the doorframe:

_ ___________________________
^ |...................
|......TUB..........toilet
30" |................... ( )
_
_ sink
|_____________________________

ameijers wrote:
"Timo" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
MoM

"ameijers" wrote in message

"Timo" wrote in message
[...]

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you. Also
unfortunately, I have 2 like that. Seems
a lot of mobile homes come with them. I am looking into the
future giving up the
smallest bedroom to a proper tub room but for the moment I'm
stuck with this tub.

It's really not that bad, but as you suggest, shower doors
only cut down on the space.

We found these curved shower rods at HD for $20 Can and put
them on both tubs.

Really makes a difference to the room for showering.

MoM

Posted to alt.home.repair

Whoa that's a mighty small tub. Have you seen one and sat in it?
Another thing you might consider is an ofuro or japanese style tub like
he
http://www.at-house.net/bt/bt01.htm \
Quite small but very deep. A bit expensive. I had actually looked at
stock tanks at Farm and Fleet, nice size and the price is right. Does
it come in ivory?
Another thought is to move the toilet. My brother did that. Its in a
closet in the hallway opened up a lot or space in the bath and you
don't have that double use problem.
"Uh I wouldn't go in there for a while honey."
Richard

Posted to alt.home.repair
Wayne Whitney

On 2005-12-17, Timo wrote:

Unfortunately, shower is not in the cards. Building codes, if I'm not
mistaken, mandate minimum 32" sides for a shower, but we don't have that
depth from the wall. We have about 30" till we meet the doorframe:

_ ___________________________
^ |...................
|......TUB..........toilet
30" |................... ( )
v |...................
_ _
_ sink
|_____________________________

What are the dimensions of the room? The toilet requires a 30" wide
space. How wide is the door, could you change it to be 2" smaller?
What about the door trim, could that be made smaller? Is rearranging
the plumbing an option, or is that too invasive?

Cheers, Wayne

Bathroom fan - must vent thru roof, or anywhere outside? bryanska Home Ownership 6 July 4th 05 10:34 PM
venting for additional bathroom davidmc Home Repair 6 April 25th 05 09:22 PM
Bathroom fans improperly vented jeff Home Repair 11 June 4th 04 05:30 PM
Bathroom Mirror. Terry Home Repair 2 May 2nd 04 10:42 PM
Small Table Making Software - Instructional Software Program JK Woodworking 0 February 15th 04 07:50 PM