Posted to alt.home.repair

Default hot water in shower can only reach "warm" at its best in winter

Hi,
I recently moved into a ten-year old house. The hot water of the shower
worked fine in summer. However, when the outside temperature begins to
drop down around 30, the hot water in the shower does not seem to work.
The faucet water is hot, but the shower water can only reach warm level
at the best. The heating system is in the garage and it is a new system
with only 5 months on it. Two bedrooms have shower, it seems both
showers have the same problem. The shower has one bolt - turning to the
right is cold water and turning the same bolt to the left is the hot
water. Would anyone please give me any hint on what might be wrong with
the hot water in the shower? Thank you very much. - Lily

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,
I recently moved into a ten-year old house. The hot water of the shower
worked fine in summer. However, when the outside temperature begins to
drop down around 30, the hot water in the shower does not seem to work.
The faucet water is hot, but the shower water can only reach warm level
at the best.

Do you have a scald proof shower control? It may be set up to reach a
maximum temperature and works OK for the summer, but in the winter, the
incoming water is colder. the device may be set so that it restricts the
hot water too much to give you the comfort you want.

In the winter, mine is set so that I just crank it all the way to hot and it
is comfortable. In the summer, I must back it off or it would be too hot.
On mine, the adjustment is under the knob. It sets a maximum, but not a
minimum.

Posted to alt.home.repair
bugs bunny

you need to turn up the temperature on your water heater in the winter, to
make up for the ice cold water you are mixing with it in winter

i.e. the cold water that is part of the shower mixture was cool in the
summer, now it is ice cold and you have to turn up the temp on the water
heater to compensate

cheers!

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,
I recently moved into a ten-year old house. The hot water of the shower
worked fine in summer. However, when the outside temperature begins to
drop down around 30, the hot water in the shower does not seem to work.
The faucet water is hot, but the shower water can only reach warm level
at the best. The heating system is in the garage and it is a new system
with only 5 months on it. Two bedrooms have shower, it seems both
showers have the same problem. The shower has one bolt - turning to the
right is cold water and turning the same bolt to the left is the hot
water. Would anyone please give me any hint on what might be wrong with
the hot water in the shower? Thank you very much. - Lily

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

wrote:
Hi,
I recently moved into a ten-year old house. The hot water of the shower
worked fine in summer. However, when the outside temperature begins to
drop down around 30, the hot water in the shower does not seem to work.
The faucet water is hot, but the shower water can only reach warm level
at the best. The heating system is in the garage and it is a new system
with only 5 months on it. Two bedrooms have shower, it seems both
showers have the same problem. The shower has one bolt - turning to the
right is cold water and turning the same bolt to the left is the hot
water. Would anyone please give me any hint on what might be wrong with
the hot water in the shower? Thank you very much. - Lily

That's a new one on me. Normally if there's a shower temperature
complaint it's because the hot water temperature on the water heater
might not be set high enough, or there are uninsulated pipes losing
heat on the way to the shower. Usually once the water is running the
heat loss in the pipe system is not too bad. Check the temperature
setting on the hot water heater to be sure.

If you have sufficiently hot water at the bathroom faucet, but the
shower is lukewarm, you might have a problem with the shower body
itself, or...you're mistaken on how the shower valve works. If you
turn the valve one way for cold and the opposite way for hot, how could
anyone possibly mix the correct water temperature?

I think it's time you played around with that shower control and find
out what it does. Sometimes they've a little non-intuitive and you
have to turn all the way past where you think it should be to get it
where you want it to be.

If you're still stumped, get the manufacturer's name off of the control
cover plate and give them a call. They'll tell you whether it's you or
the valve.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi, Than you for your information. Bear with my ignorance, but how can
I find out whether there is a scald proof shower control installed?
When I moved in, the owner did not tell me anything about that. And I
don't see any controller anywhere in the shower. Thank you again for
your help. Lily

Posted to alt.home.repair

hi, Thank you for your information, but I turned it up to the "hottest"
position. Otherwise, it will be cold. The odd thing is that the faucet
water is hot....

Posted to alt.home.repair

HI R, I turned the hot water to the "hottest" position. That is how I
got the warm water. Otherwise, it is very very cold

Posted to alt.home.repair

HI R, I turned the hot water to the "hottest" position. That is how I
got the warm water. Otherwise, it is very very cold

Posted to alt.home.repair
philkryder

As others have noted, you likely have a scald preventing valve.

What make and model is it?

Can you find a diagram of it at the website of the manufacturer?

If not, can you find an 800 number for the manufacturer to call for
help?

If not, can you contact your leasor and ask them for help?

If not, can you remove the handle or nob from the shower control?
The Limit stop may be obvious under there.

good luck
Phil

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

wrote:
Hi, Than you for your information. Bear with my ignorance, but how can
I find out whether there is a scald proof shower control installed?
When I moved in, the owner did not tell me anything about that. And I
don't see any controller anywhere in the shower. Thank you again for
your help. Lily

Um, Lily? Lighten up on that send button!

If you have any questions about your particular shower body/valve,
contact the manufacturer. It will help if you can find a picture of it
online and tell them a model number or name. Here's an instruction
sheet for a particular style of Moen shower body:
http://www.moen.com/shared/pdf/instr...s/INS1022A.pdf

The adjustment for the temperature setting is hidden behind the
chrome/brass escutcheon - the trim plate that has the knob in the
middle. You would have to remove the handle (again, probably a
concealed screw holds it on), then the escutcheon, then locate the
screw that adjusts the water mixing temperature. If you're not
comfortable dealing with that, it's time to call a plumber or a handy
friend who you can trust to not leave you in worse shape than you
started.

Posted to alt.home.repair
chickenwing

RicodJour wrote:
snip heartburn

great day!

are you smellin' what im stepping in?

what is that smell?

damn!

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On 14 Dec 2005 20:56:39 -0800, "RicodJour"
wrote:

a handy
friend who you can trust to not leave you in worse shape than you
started.

A good definition of handy!

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On 14 Dec 2005 20:36:01 -0800, "
wrote:

hi, Thank you for your information, but I turned it up to the "hottest"
position. Otherwise, it will be cold. The odd thing is that the faucet
water is hot....

You snipped what he said, but I think he is talking about the water
heater, and I think you are talknig about the faucet.

OTOH, I'm not sure I agree with him. I don't have a one handled
shower, but I have a one handled kitchen sink and it's possible to set
the handle so only hot water comes out, and no cold wwater is mixed
with it. Now I know that shower faucets are not made the same way,
but can't they do the same thing?

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

~On 14 Dec 2005 20:31:48 -0800, "RicodJour"
wrote:

That's a new one on me. Normally if there's a shower temperature
complaint it's because the hot water temperature on the water heater
might not be set high enough, or there are uninsulated pipes losing
heat on the way to the shower. Usually once the water is running the
heat loss in the pipe system is not too bad. Check the temperature
setting on the hot water heater to be sure.

If you have sufficiently hot water at the bathroom faucet, but the
shower is lukewarm, you might have a problem with the shower body
itself, or...you're mistaken on how the shower valve works. If you
turn the valve one way for cold and the opposite way for hot, how could
anyone possibly mix the correct water temperature?

It's in the middle. Haven't you seen these. I don't have one but
I've seen and used them in boys' gyms, or maybe when I visit people.
I don't like them because I never know which direction is supposed to
be which, but I suppose if I had it all the time I'd get used to it.

If you're still stumped, get the manufacturer's name off of the control
cover plate and give them a call. They'll tell you whether it's you or
the valve.

They told me it was me.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Posted to alt.home.repair

It might help some if you could insulate the hot water pipes wherever
you can.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Oscar_Lives

wrote in message
ups.com...
HI R, I turned the hot water to the "hottest" position. That is how I
got the warm water. Otherwise, it is very very cold

Why do you want to heat hot water?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thank you for all of your help. I will try to find out the manufactory
and see whether I can get any help from them.
The house is using gas heater. I cannot hold my hand for even 10
seconds if I turn on the hot water of the faucet (the sink). But when I
took a shower, even if I turn it all up to the hottest level, the water
is still just warm. The problem seem to come and go: one day it may be
hot, the next day it may only be warm. HOwever, the outside temperate
is about the same and hot water from faucet is really hot... Lily

Posted to alt.home.repair
philkryder

wrote:
..... The problem seem to come and go: one day it may be
hot, the next day it may only be warm. ..... Lily

This differs from your original post in that the original post gave the
strong impression that the problem HAD BEEN CONTINUOUS since outside
temperatures dropped below 30 degrees.

If the problem is intermittent and NOT CONTINUOUS, then it is a strong
indicator that the valve is defective, or in need of cleaning and
service, rather than simply in need of adjustment of the high limit..

There are two types of anti-scald valves.
One is temperature sensing.
The other is pressure balancing.

I have seen the pressure balancing valves "stick".
I have corrected this by removing the "cartridge" which floats to
balance the pressure and then cleaned the valve body with a wire brush
on a portable drill, then re-lubed the cartridge and re-installed.

You may not be ready for such an adventure.

I think most landlords would be responsible for repairing or servicing
the valve.

Since you now state that the problem "comes and goes", you may be able
get temporary relief by employing the following procedu
1) turn the shower on as hard and hot as you can.
Wait for the shower water to get as warm as it will.
Then,
2) Turn the HOT water on and off Suddenly and REPEATEDLY at the sink .

By turning the HOT water at the sink on and off, you will cause a
slight pressure drop on the hot water lines, this may in turn cause the
balancing valve to "adjust" and move to close off the cold water just
enough to get some hot water to flow at the shower.
By doing it repeatedly, with the shower valve warm, you may be able to
loosen the balancing cartridge sufficiently to get some temporary
relief and a hot shower.

If this method works, you should consider it fortunate.
But, you should get the valve serviced regardless.

Good luck!
Phil