Posted to alt.home.repair

Default hot water in shower can only reach "warm" at its best in winter

Hi, Than you for your information. Bear with my ignorance, but how can
I find out whether there is a scald proof shower control installed?
When I moved in, the owner did not tell me anything about that. And I
don't see any controller anywhere in the shower. Thank you again for
your help. Lily

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,
I recently moved into a ten-year old house. The hot water of the shower
worked fine in summer. However, when the outside temperature begins to
drop down around 30, the hot water in the shower does not seem to work.
The faucet water is hot, but the shower water can only reach warm level
at the best.

Do you have a scald proof shower control? It may be set up to reach a
maximum temperature and works OK for the summer, but in the winter, the
incoming water is colder. the device may be set so that it restricts the
hot water too much to give you the comfort you want.

In the winter, mine is set so that I just crank it all the way to hot and it
is comfortable. In the summer, I must back it off or it would be too hot.
On mine, the adjustment is under the knob. It sets a maximum, but not a
minimum.