Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair
Charlie Bress

Default Here's one for the telephone guys

I am having a problem receiving calls.
Firs the telco said there check from there end showed a short on the line.

They advised unplugging all the phones but one and add them back one at a
time. Lousy idea. it is hard to prove a negative.
Next test: take a believed to be good phone out to the net work box.
Disconnect from the house and plug in directly to the telco line. Had
someone call me several times. problem still persisted. caller said there
was one ring at the calling end and then the message that the called party
had been disconnected. Repeated the test using a second wired phone at the
box. Same result.

Called telco again to report results. They set an appointment for service
this am. Then telco called and said they had fixed problem from there end.
Then there was a computer generated call asking if I agreed the problem had
been fixed. I responded NO. Then a live body called back and I said that I
would need a few days to be assured that it was really fixed. OK and keep
the appointment with the service guy.

Service guy came and checked at the box said all was ok. When I described
the scenario to him, he said that situation that sys the party had hung up
was a software problem.

This afternoon, spouse tried to call home from cell phone. Same problem.
Took three tries before house phone rang long enough to complete call.
Typically there might have been one ring and by time you picked up a
handset, the line was open.. No caller, no dial tone.

I tried calling house phone from cell while I was in the house to hear what
was happening. This with only two phones plugged in. One wired one cordless.
these are both "good" phones. First try had same fault. Subsequent tries (5
or 6) all ok.

I plan to rig up my ohmmeter to RJ 11/14 plug and try to see what happens
as I plug phones into the house one at a time to find any anomaly.

What is the acceptable resistance range as I add phones to the system? I
expect that all of the ringers are electronic.

Where do you think the problem lies?
Is it me or them?

BTW, never a problem making out going calls, and PC is on cable and has no
telephone modem.

Charlie