miamicuse

Default Outdoor telephone cable repair advise needed

My lawn guy came by and his weedeater or mower nipped/cut my outdoor
underground telephone cable where it leaves the ground and reach up the side
of the house to the outside box.

The wire is still connected (my phone is still working) but the cable is
totally chewed up and metal exposed so I need to get this repaired. If this
were a coxial cable I can cut the wire clean, hook up two female connector
to each end, crimp them and connect both to a male/male thread. Then put a
heat sink ribbon over it, blow dry and done.

But telephone wire is different, I don't know of any water proof easy to use
round connectors, all those I saw are indoor type "boxy" adaptors. Is there
something to use for outdoor telephone cable repair?

Thanks in advance,

MC

ameijers

"miamicuse" wrote in message
[...]

In this case, best tool to use is the phone, to call repair service. From
your description, it sounds like the damage is on telco side of the demarc,
which makes it THEIR problem. They don't really want you messing with the
drop anyway. Properly installed, the exposed, above-ground part of the feed
should be inside a stick of conduit anyway, to protect against just such
mishaps as this. This will be a trivial repair for them, with a proper
splice kit, or even replacing the drop.

aem sends...

Beachcomber

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 23:13:18 GMT, "ameijers"
wrote:

"miamicuse" wrote in message
[...]

Just so you know though, the phone company will have sealed splices
that, when crimped, keep the water and moisture out. They will also
have a supply of replacement direct burial telephone cable. Any
attempt to repair this without using the right material is most likely
going to lead to problems with your dial tone at a later date.

Beachcomber