Posted to alt.home.repair
Rob Latham

Default washing machine fills with water overnight

Just recently I've noticed that water ends up in our washing machine's
tub while the machine is off. The leak, if that's what it really is,
is slow enough that I don't notice it until quite a few hours have
passed.

I'm going to shut off the water supply to first the hot, then the cold
to narow down where the leak might be. Once i've got that figured out,
what's next?

In a way, if the problem was with the external hoses, that would be a
lot easier. Since the problem appears to be internal to the washing
machine, is this going to be a challenging repair?

Thanks
==rob

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT

Rob Latham wrote:

Just recently I've noticed that water ends up in our washing machine's
tub while the machine is off. The leak, if that's what it really is,
is slow enough that I don't notice it until quite a few hours have
passed.

I'm going to shut off the water supply to first the hot, then the cold
to narow down where the leak might be. Once i've got that figured out,
what's next?

In a way, if the problem was with the external hoses, that would be a
lot easier. Since the problem appears to be internal to the washing
machine, is this going to be a challenging repair?

Thanks
==rob

That probably depends on how easily you can find replacement parts
(probably the fill valve, but possibly an electrical problem).

If it's a name brand, fairly recent, and there's a local distributor,
it might not be too bad.

It's clean water, right?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rich Greenberg

In article .com,
Rob Latham wrote:
Just recently I've noticed that water ends up in our washing machine's
tub while the machine is off. The leak, if that's what it really is,
is slow enough that I don't notice it until quite a few hours have
passed.

If indeed, water comes in when the machine is off, that isolates the
problem quite well. Both the hot and cold hoses have a solinoid valve
on them which is located quite close to where the hose enters the
machine. May even be mounted on the rear of the machine. Determine if
its the hot or cold, and replace the corresponding valve.

Posted to alt.home.repair
TH

You should ALWAYS turn off the water unless you want to clean up 1000s of
gallons from the floor when the hoses rupture.

"Rob Latham" wrote in message
oups.com...
Just recently I've noticed that water ends up in our washing machine's
tub while the machine is off. The leak, if that's what it really is,
is slow enough that I don't notice it until quite a few hours have
passed.

I'm going to shut off the water supply to first the hot, then the cold
to narow down where the leak might be. Once i've got that figured out,
what's next?

In a way, if the problem was with the external hoses, that would be a
lot easier. Since the problem appears to be internal to the washing
machine, is this going to be a challenging repair?

Thanks
==rob

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Rob Latham wrote:
Just recently I've noticed that water ends up in our washing machine's
tub while the machine is off. The leak, if that's what it really is,
is slow enough that I don't notice it until quite a few hours have
passed.

I'm going to shut off the water supply to first the hot, then the cold
to narow down where the leak might be. Once i've got that figured
out, what's next?

In a way, if the problem was with the external hoses, that would be a
lot easier. Since the problem appears to be internal to the washing
machine, is this going to be a challenging repair?

Thanks
==rob

This might be a good time to buy a flood protection device. There are
some designed to be attached directly to the plumbing. They have a button
to turn them on when you want to use your washer. It then stays on for a
limited time, then turns off. It will protect you if a hose breaks or if
you have an internal failure of the inlet valve, which appears to be your
problem.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 00:08:27 GMT, "TH" wrote:

You should ALWAYS turn off the water unless you want to clean up 1000s of
gallons from the floor when the hoses rupture.

I'll vouch for that. I'm glad I was home when it happened. If it had
run for 8 hours, or 2 weeks, it might have filled up the bsaement to
the 7 foot level. Or the 9 foot level if the basement window didn't
break out.

I bought new hoses clad in stainless steel mesh, but is it true that
even that can burst eventually?

I'm also interested in what Joe Meehan said, which I hadn't heard of
before.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Matt

Rob Latham wrote:
Just recently I've noticed that water ends up in our washing machine's
tub while the machine is off.

How much water?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Appliance Repair Aid

Rob Latham wrote:
Just recently I've noticed that water ends up in our washing machine's
tub while the machine is off. The leak, if that's what it really is,
is slow enough that I don't notice it until quite a few hours have
passed.

I'm going to shut off the water supply to first the hot, then the cold
to narow down where the leak might be. Once i've got that figured out,
what's next?

In a way, if the problem was with the external hoses, that would be a
lot easier. Since the problem appears to be internal to the washing
machine, is this going to be a challenging repair?

Thanks
==rob

Hi,

Sounds like new fill valve time....

If the fill valve is not 100% shuting off, it can weep/dribble in some
water all of the time.

The fill valve is where the hot and cold hoses are attched to the
washer.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/