Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Default washing machine fills with water overnight

Rob Latham wrote:
Just recently I've noticed that water ends up in our washing machine's
tub while the machine is off. The leak, if that's what it really is,
is slow enough that I don't notice it until quite a few hours have
passed.

I'm going to shut off the water supply to first the hot, then the cold
to narow down where the leak might be. Once i've got that figured
out, what's next?

In a way, if the problem was with the external hoses, that would be a
lot easier. Since the problem appears to be internal to the washing
machine, is this going to be a challenging repair?

Thanks
==rob

This might be a good time to buy a flood protection device. There are
some designed to be attached directly to the plumbing. They have a button
to turn them on when you want to use your washer. It then stays on for a
limited time, then turns off. It will protect you if a hose breaks or if
you have an internal failure of the inlet valve, which appears to be your
problem.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit