Posted to alt.home.repair
Jean

Default Using old paint

I'm repainting the walls and trim inside my house. I have about a gallon
of the old paint (alkyd, satin sheen) that I'd like to use to touch up
dings in the baseboards and walls. Is is likely that this paint will
still match the old paint color-wise? How can I tell if the paint has
"gone bad"? Or should I just bite the bullet and buy some new paint and
pray that it matches the old color well enough to blend in?

Thanks,

Jean
Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Jean" wrote in message
I'm repainting the walls and trim inside my house. I have about a gallon
of the old paint (alkyd, satin sheen) that I'd like to use to touch up
dings in the baseboards and walls. Is is likely that this paint will still
match the old paint color-wise? How can I tell if the paint has "gone
bad"? Or should I just bite the bullet and buy some new paint and pray
that it matches the old color well enough to blend in?

Mix it well. Swab a bit on some scrap wood or paper. If it dried it will be
OK. The color may be off a bit as the exposed paint probably changed over
time, but it may blend in better after a couple of months exposure.

I've used paint that was a few years old with no problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

You will know if its bad when you try to use it, but I dought if it will
match, oil paint darkens and looses sheen, so it will be noticable.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Roger Taylor

"Jean" wrote in message
I'm repainting the walls and trim inside my house. I have about a gallon
of the old paint (alkyd, satin sheen) that I'd like to use to touch up
dings in the baseboards and walls. Is is likely that this paint will still
match the old paint color-wise? How can I tell if the paint has "gone
bad"? Or should I just bite the bullet and buy some new paint and pray
that it matches the old color well enough to blend in?

Mix well, apply with a tiny brush or q-tips the smaller dings. If it dries
overnight, the paint is ok, and hasnt lost it's drying agents nor thinner
solvent. If it is a whitish color you are trying to match with oil paint,
the new paint will dry slightly lighter, whether or not you replace the old
can of paint with new. Oil paint, unlike acrylic, especially light colors,
slowly darken with age.

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

"m Ransley" wrote in message
You will know if its bad when you try to use it, but I dought if it will
match, oil paint darkens and looses sheen, so it will be noticable.

You'll probably need to strain it for chunks of dried paint and debris that
sometimes accumulates on the lip and inside edges of old cans especially if
you are rolling it on.

I used some old primer (tinted with new paint) and I was picking paint
boogers off the wall the whole time because I didn't strain.

A painter told me that premium paint has a shorter shelf life than standard
paint. It does spread easier and last longer on the wall but just not in
the can. I am not sure why though.

Paint formula changes av Home Repair 27 May 28th 14 08:02 AM
Excerpt: Room for Improvement Jane Smith Home Repair 1 October 3rd 05 10:22 AM
Rust Paint and Standard Paint. ACH Metalworking 2 July 4th 05 03:48 PM
Hardinge Paint Purchase (long) [email protected] Metalworking 2 April 21st 05 07:28 PM
Benjamin Moore paint types jeffc Home Ownership 1 August 19th 03 04:51 AM