Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair
zxcvbob

Default Metal halide lights questions (bought some)

Ignoramus8325 wrote:
I bought two used metal halide lights. They are about 1x2x0.5 feet in
size and take 250 watt bulbs.

I tried one of the two I bought (the second has a problem, likely due
to shipping, that I hope we can easily rectify with the seller). I
laid ot on the floor and directed the light at the ceiling.

My first impression is that, first, they take quite a while to warm up
(not a problem), and second, they are not that bright. I would say
that one 250W MH light makes about as much light as do my eight 4ft
fluorescent lights. Maybe it is more of an expectations issue and even
that is great.

Secondly, the color from the bulb that was there, leaves much to be
desired, it is kind of "cold". I am curious if I can buy some other
250W MH bulbs that produce a more lively color.

Internally, all they have is a multitap transformer and a capacitor.

Any thoughts on this?

Try to find a coated bulb that is designed for vertical base down
operation (VBU is common, HOR is common, I dunno about VBD in a 250W)
VBD is probably the worst orientation for a "Universal" MH lamp.

It sounds like you got a universal lamp with a clear envelope. It's
probably brighter than you think, but the shadows are harsher and trick
your eyes into thinking it's less bright. A coated lamp will help with
that. Try to get one with a color rating closer to 3000 kelvin.

The lamp will get brighter during the first 100 hours of use, then it
will start to dim slowly for then next 10000 or so hours until it fails.

Best regards,
Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair
zxcvbob

Ignoramus8325 wrote:

On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 10:18:45 -0600, zxcvbob wrote:

Ignoramus8325 wrote:

[...]

You know, I may try another route, if you think that it is sensible. I
am considering to place the light with the base up and the bulb
horizontal and the light going down, however I would coat the clear
glass with some light diffusing coating.

It sounds like you got a universal lamp with a clear envelope.

Yes.

It's probably brighter than you think, but the shadows are harsher
and trick your eyes into thinking it's less bright. A coated lamp
will help with that. Try to get one with a color rating closer to
3000 kelvin.

Makes sense. I will look into that.

The lamp will get brighter during the first 100 hours of use, then it
will start to dim slowly for then next 10000 or so hours until it fails.

I see. It has probably seen quite a bit of use and I have no problem
buying new bulbs.

Thanks a lot.

One 250W MH lamp is unlikely to produce as much light a eight 32W (T8)
or *good* 40W fluorescent lamps. It will produce more light than 8
crappy fluorescent "shop lite" bulbs.

Best regards,
Bob