Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike S.

Default a painting story

A true story...

A few weeks ago I decided to stain the new deck I had just built, I was
home alone and it was a nice warm day and I decided to take advantage of it
and get the staining done. Having been previously been warned I made a
mental note to be very careful to not paint myself into a corner..imagine
how awkward that would be.
I kept that thought as I went out the sliding door onto the deck, started
at the far side, stained the railing, worked across the floor boards, and
then ended up at the stairs. After I finished the stairs I took a step
back, congratulated myself on how nice it looked, and patted myself on the
back thinking... see, I didn't paint myself into a corner after all! I was
feeling very self satisfied as I then walked around to the front of the
house to find that the front door was locked, the keys were inside, and I
had just painted myself out of the only open door to the house!

Nothing like sitting outside calling yourself stupid for 2 hours till you
can get keys and get in...I don't think I will live this one down for quite
a while.

--

Mike S.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Mike S. wrote:
[...]

Don't you love that feeling as it dawns on you that you did something
stupid? I did something similar with a second floor screened porch
that has a lockset where the knob turns on the inside but is locked
from the outside. It's easy to exit, but...it's true - you can never
go back!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Mike S." wrote in message

I then walked around to the front of the house to find that the front door
was locked, the keys were inside, and I had just painted myself out of the
only open door to the house!

Nothing like sitting outside calling yourself stupid for 2 hours till you
can get keys and get in...I don't think I will live this one down for
quite a while.

Now that's funny.

I keep a house key hidden in two places. One in my car, the other in the
garage that can be opened with a keypad.

Or course, I'd never lock myself out, but I've heard stories of others doing
it so I'm prepared. Nope, not me, it was just stories that I've heard.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Mike S." wrote in message

I then walked around to the front of the house to find that the front door
was locked, the keys were inside, and I had just painted myself out of the
only open door to the house!

Nothing like sitting outside calling yourself stupid for 2 hours till you
can get keys and get in...I don't think I will live this one down for
quite a while.

Now that's funny.

I keep a house key hidden in two places. One in my car, the other in the
garage that can be opened with a keypad.

Or course, I'd never lock myself out, but I've heard stories of others doing
it so I'm prepared. Nope, not me, it was just stories that I've heard.

The project I have going now is an exterior refacing. We're adding
some decorative window sills. The owner asked the stucco guy if they
would hold someone's weight if someone stood on them. I looked at him
and he explained that they frequently get locked out of the house and
have to break in through an open window. I asked him why he doesn't
hide a key somewhere or get one of those pushbutton or remote-activated
locksets.

It's one thing to lock yourself out once in a blue moon, but to _plan_
on locking yourself out...! Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me
twice, shame on me.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia

Mike S. wrote:

[...]

That's funny, but doesn't quite qualify as an oopsasecond* event.

Jeff

* Oopsasecond - An infinitesimal unit of time between doing something
stupid and realizing that you shouldn't have done it.

Ex: Accidently saying "yes" to your computer asking you if you really
want to reformat its hard drive.

JW

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Liz MacDonald

Last weekend I sang a choir concert. No place to leave a purse, so I
left the house in my long black gown with just my wallet and car keys.
I'd use the garage door opener to get back in. The rest of the family
was out of town.

Got home, pressed the button. The door jerked a bit and the opener
light started flashing. In disbelief, I tried it a few more times.

In my long gown, I balanced on a log to get the key stashed up under the
porch. I'd put that key out there years ago when a ****ed-off
3-year-old locked me out when I walked the dog.

Once I got inside, I found that the extension spring had let go.
Liz
Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike S.

I usually have a few keys stashed too, but the kids had used them and not
replaced them, and the neighbor who has our key wasn't home.

3 strikes and I was out ..oh well!

--

Mike S.

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
Now that's funny.

I keep a house key hidden in two places. One in my car, the other in the
garage that can be opened with a keypad.

Or course, I'd never lock myself out, but I've heard stories of others
doing it so I'm prepared. Nope, not me, it was just stories that I've
heard.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

"RicodJour" wrote in message

Don't you love that feeling as it dawns on you that you did something
stupid? I did something similar with a second floor screened porch
that has a lockset where the knob turns on the inside but is locked
from the outside. It's easy to exit, but...it's true - you can never
go back!

I hauled a ladder over to a neighbor's once after she locked herself onto a
second floor deck in a similar manner. Another neighbor heard her yelling and
cames to get me

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob wrote:
"RicodJour" wrote in message

Don't you love that feeling as it dawns on you that you did something
stupid? I did something similar with a second floor screened porch
that has a lockset where the knob turns on the inside but is locked
from the outside. It's easy to exit, but...it's true - you can never
go back!

I hauled a ladder over to a neighbor's once after she locked herself onto a
second floor deck in a similar manner. Another neighbor heard her yelling and
cames to get me

Bob

At my neighbor's expense he was trying to clean out his unlined fire
place chimmney from the roof and dropped the flue brush partway down
the chimmney. His arm was not long enough to reach it so he stuck his
foot down and tried to hook it out. 20 minutes later, with a sledge
hammer I freed him. That was funny.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I won't go outside my house with a key, even if only to the yard.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

wrote in message ups.com...
I won't go outside my house with a key, even if only to the yard.

How do you lock your door? How do you unlock it?

Bob

OT=: The Darkest Days ( long , old story but good read anyway ) Gunner Asch Metalworking 4 August 23rd 05 11:10 AM
eScrew OWNS YOU!!! [email protected] Metalworking 7 December 22nd 04 09:47 PM
eScrew Dave Jackson Woodworking 1 December 21st 04 01:54 AM
Funny story about metal [email protected] Metalworking 10 December 20th 04 05:26 PM
Funny story about repair [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 December 20th 04 03:35 AM