Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Insulation I can put up against a furnace flue/B-vent?

I have my furnace exhaust coming up from the basement to my attic.
Currently the B-vent comes into my attic floor from the second floor
ceiling with a good-sized triangular cutout around it, sorta like this,
looking from the top:

(If you aren't viewing in a fixed font, this won't make sense,
picture a triangle with a circle inside)
/\
/ \
/ \
/ ___ \
/ / \ \
/ ; ; \
/ \___/ \
--------------

A significant draft comes out this triangle into my unheated attic.
I'd like to seal it up but am unsure how to proceed.

If memory serves, no flammable material can be within 1" of a B-vent.
So, could any nonflammable insulation be used to cover the hole and
butt up against the pipe? Are there any other issues?

Thanks,

Max

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark

the furnace exhaust vents into the attic??????!!!!!!!!

or it then goes on through the roof?

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Make something out of sheet metal, I was given an insulation piece by a
fireplace repairman that looked like fiberglass for inside my fireplace
in a crack, check a fireplace store to use it to fill the gap.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

wrote in message oups.com...
[...]

Look up "rockwool". It is an insulation for high temps.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

the furnace exhaust vents into the attic??????!!!!!!!!
or it then goes on through the roof?

Sorry I wasn't clear. It goes through to the roof and out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

the furnace exhaust vents into the attic??????!!!!!!!!
or it then goes on through the roof?

Sorry I wasn't clear. It goes through to the roof and out.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

There are a number of fire retardant or resistant materials. Vermiculite is
fireproof and can be filled in voids around a flue pipe. It is a little hard
to find though, at least in small quantities. The Schundler co. from NJ is a
major distributor and can help you to find some in your area

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

"Bob" wrote in message

Look up "rockwool". It is an insulation for high temps.

I found it at a local lumber yard, FWIW.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm a newcomer to this group but I am impressed with the rapid

I, too have a problem with my stove. It's a double-wall pipe and
cold air is leaking into my hom from the pipe. I've checked the draft
and it closes compleyely so I know its not coming in through the stove.

I believe the air space between the two walls of the pipe is where
the cold air is coming from. When I checked the pipe at the end of the
summer I could see some light as I looked down into the pipe. I figured
some of the insulation was missing and I was afraid I'd have a tough
time finding the right type. I'll try to find the rockwool ASAP.

Thanks,
Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

You are correct about the 1" clearance.

While I can't recommend using unfaced fiberglass insulation to insulate this
area, I will tell you that unfaced fiberglass insulation will not burn if
held in contact with direct flame. What you do with that information is up
to you.

Best wishes

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

"Colbyt" wrote in message news:4Uqlf.625086

You are correct about the 1" clearance.

While I can't recommend using unfaced fiberglass insulation to insulate this
area, I will tell you that unfaced fiberglass insulation will not burn if
held in contact with direct flame. What you do with that information is up
to you.

Fiberglass is not reted for these temps. Rockwool is. But the firestop is
certainly part of the solution.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to marinemiller, Tails wrote:
Rocks all insulation, fire proof. I have it around my gas fireplace exhaust

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ent-59440-.htm