Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New Condensate Pump, add one of those ammonia hocky puck things you use in toilet tanks?

Would this be a bad idea? I know those ammonia pucks you put in the
toilet tanks muck up the flapper valves in the toilet tanks, so I don't
use them. I had one lying around and I thought placing one in the pump
might be a good way to kill any mold or bacteria when I install a new
condensate pump for the dehumidifier attached to our furnice. Of
course it could also ruin a brand new pump very quickly, but not sure
if the pumps have any sensitive rubber or other stuff that the
chemicals would ruin.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin Mormon

Skip the hockey puck. Condensate pumps run fine for years withotu them.

What does the manual that came with it say? My guess is two or three drops
of bleach twice a year. But that's just a guess.

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

wrote in message
ups.com...
Would this be a bad idea? I know those ammonia pucks you put in the
toilet tanks muck up the flapper valves in the toilet tanks, so I don't
use them. I had one lying around and I thought placing one in the pump
might be a good way to kill any mold or bacteria when I install a new
condensate pump for the dehumidifier attached to our furnice. Of
course it could also ruin a brand new pump very quickly, but not sure
if the pumps have any sensitive rubber or other stuff that the
chemicals would ruin.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
Patrick Cleburne

wrote in message
ups.com...
Would this be a bad idea? I know those ammonia pucks you put in the
toilet tanks muck up the flapper valves in the toilet tanks, so I don't
use them. I had one lying around and I thought placing one in the pump
might be a good way to kill any mold or bacteria when I install a new
condensate pump for the dehumidifier attached to our furnice. Of
course it could also ruin a brand new pump very quickly, but not sure
if the pumps have any sensitive rubber or other stuff that the
chemicals would ruin.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

If God had intended for there be ammonia pucks in condensate pumps, he would
have issued you the pump with one already in there ;-)

Patrick

Posted to alt.home.repair
C & E

That would be a chlorine puck, I believe, and it would be far too much
chlorine for the furnace application. Ammonia is harmful to metal too.
Wrap it and trash it.

wrote in message
ups.com...
Would this be a bad idea? I know those ammonia pucks you put in the
toilet tanks muck up the flapper valves in the toilet tanks, so I don't
use them. I had one lying around and I thought placing one in the pump
might be a good way to kill any mold or bacteria when I install a new
condensate pump for the dehumidifier attached to our furnice. Of
course it could also ruin a brand new pump very quickly, but not sure
if the pumps have any sensitive rubber or other stuff that the
chemicals would ruin.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
CBHVAC

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Skip the hockey puck. Condensate pumps run fine for years withotu them.

What does the manual that came with it say? My guess is two or three drops
of bleach twice a year. But that's just a guess.

Oh..here we go..the NYC HVAC wannabe with a guess..

You would be wrong Chris.

What the OP needs to do is simply get a bottle of the anti bac tabs that he
can get for under $12 from a supply center that will sell to him and add one
every 3 months during the cooling season, and maybe one during the winter
months if hes got a condensing furnace..

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

wrote in message
ups.com...
Would this be a bad idea? I know those ammonia pucks you put in the
toilet tanks muck up the flapper valves in the toilet tanks, so I don't
use them. I had one lying around and I thought placing one in the pump
might be a good way to kill any mold or bacteria when I install a new
condensate pump for the dehumidifier attached to our furnice. Of
course it could also ruin a brand new pump very quickly, but not sure
if the pumps have any sensitive rubber or other stuff that the
chemicals would ruin.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Default New Condensate Pump, add one of those ammonia hocky puckthings...

Use bleach its cheaper, why waiste a trip and buy overpriced tabs when
your laundry bleach will do, plus if its like mine and many your furnace
is near the laundry area, where you keep the bleach, so its really free.

Posted to alt.home.repair

New Condensate Pump, add one of those ammonia hocky puck things you use in toilet tanks?

Thanks everybody for the replies, I think I will try the bleach option
first and let the chemical puck collect more dust.

Posted to alt.home.repair
TURTLE

this is Turtle.

Cheap Bleach is cheap and you always got a bunch around all the time
when you need it.

Towlet Puck aww I have dought about it not eating up something good.

HVAC drain tablets -- aww a Option but costly.

Bleach -- Cheap and you always have it.

TURTLE

Posted to alt.home.repair
CBHVAC

wrote in message
oups.com...
New Condensate Pump, add one of those ammonia hocky puck things you
use in toilet tanks?

Thanks everybody for the replies, I think I will try the bleach option
first and let the chemical puck collect more dust.

E-mail me your addy, and Ill send you some of those so called overpriced
tabs that the makers suggest over bleach...

BTW...bleach is never suggested by the makers of the units, and some makes
even state in the warranty that using it kills your coil warranty....just as
information.

Posted to alt.home.repair
TURTLE

This is Turtle.

i do hope you know we are talking about a condensate pump like Little
Giant and putting a bath room towlet bowl puke in the condensate pump
and not in the hvac coil of some sort as you state. A Condensate pump
is made to operate in a acid condition of a Ph 3.4 and bleach would
make very little difference to the pump with the Stainless steel shafts
& stainless steel Metal Parts and rubber or plastic pump gear.

If you like you can read he
http://www.lgpc.com/ProductFiles/OM/...-VCL-14ULS.pfd

TURTLE