Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction

Default clear acrylic sheet noise barrier rating

Does anyone has STC rating for different thickness of clear acrylic
sheets? I believe they are also called Plexiglass?

I am thinking of installing a 4' x 8' sheet on my warehouse ceiling
skylight opening to cut down some noise from the outside, and at the
same time preserve the exterior light coming in through the skylight.

The other option is to use vinyl noise barriers. Has anyone installed
them on exposed ceilings without covering them up with drywall?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction

Thanks for your fast reply.

Do you know if this product is sold at stores such as Home Depot and
Lowes?

The STC rating is really good. I wonder how much it is for a 4' x 8'
sheet...

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction
mulderig

It is sold at both of those stores. The Luctite is more expensive then
the acrylic. I recently both a 6 x 4 foot sheet of the Lexan for about
$57. You can get cutters to cut it to the correct size for about $2.00
or you can have the store do it for you.

All the best,
M.

wrote:
Thanks for your fast reply.

Do you know if this product is sold at stores such as Home Depot and
Lowes?

The STC rating is really good. I wonder how much it is for a 4' x 8'
sheet...

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction
3D Peruna

"mulderig" wrote in message
It is sold at both of those stores. The Luctite is more expensive then the
acrylic. I recently both a 6 x 4 foot sheet of the Lexan for about $57.
You can get cutters to cut it to the correct size for about $2.00 or you
can have the store do it for you.

All the best,
M.

Just don't use a laser to cut lexan... It's heat resistant and with most
tabletop laser cutters there isn't enough power to melt the stuff to cut it.
Plus, it gives of some pretty nasty fumes...

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Michael Daly

On 6-Dec-2005, "3D Peruna" wrote:

"mulderig" wrote in message
It is sold at both of those stores. The Luctite is more expensive then the
acrylic. I recently both a 6 x 4 foot sheet of the Lexan for about $57.
You can get cutters to cut it to the correct size for about $2.00 or you
can have the store do it for you.

All the best,
M.

Just don't use a laser to cut lexan...

You can cut polycarbonate (generic name for Lexan) with woodworking tools.

http://www.sheffieldplastics.com/web_docs/Makrolon_Fabrication_Guide.pdf

Mike
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
PipeDown

Two layers of plastic with an air gap (vented away from quiet area) will
significantly reduce the noise over one sheet

"Michael Daly" wrote in message

On 6-Dec-2005, "3D Peruna" wrote:

"mulderig" wrote in message
It is sold at both of those stores. The Luctite is more expensive then
the
acrylic. I recently both a 6 x 4 foot sheet of the Lexan for about $57.
You can get cutters to cut it to the correct size for about $2.00 or
you
can have the store do it for you.

All the best,
M.

Just don't use a laser to cut lexan...

You can cut polycarbonate (generic name for Lexan) with woodworking tools.

http://www.sheffieldplastics.com/web_docs/Makrolon_Fabrication_Guide.pdf

Mike

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
3D Peruna

On 6-Dec-2005, "3D Peruna" wrote:

"mulderig" wrote in message
It is sold at both of those stores. The Luctite is more expensive then
the
acrylic. I recently both a 6 x 4 foot sheet of the Lexan for about $57.
You can get cutters to cut it to the correct size for about $2.00 or
you
can have the store do it for you.

All the best,
M.

Just don't use a laser to cut lexan...

You can cut polycarbonate (generic name for Lexan) with woodworking tools.

http://www.sheffieldplastics.com/web_docs/Makrolon_Fabrication_Guide.pdf

Mike

Polycarbonate is not Lexan is not polycarbonate.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Chas Hurst

On 6-Dec-2005, "3D Peruna" wrote:

"mulderig" wrote in message
It is sold at both of those stores. The Luctite is more expensive

then
the
acrylic. I recently both a 6 x 4 foot sheet of the Lexan for about

$57.
You can get cutters to cut it to the correct size for about $2.00 or
you
can have the store do it for you.

All the best,
M.

Just don't use a laser to cut lexan...

You can cut polycarbonate (generic name for Lexan) with woodworking

tools.

http://www.sheffieldplastics.com/web_docs/Makrolon_Fabrication_Guide.pdf

Mike

Polycarbonate is not Lexan is not polycarbonate.

Well that would certainly be news to GE. They manufacture Lexan and sell it
as polycarbonate.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

The Luxen document says that for a quarter inch thick sheet, the STC is
about 31. Does anyone have STC numbers for different thickness of
acrylic sheets?

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Doug Miller

In article , "3D Peruna" wrote:

Polycarbonate is not Lexan is not polycarbonate.

You are confused. Lexan is GE's trademark name for polycarbonate.
http://www.gelexan.com/gelexan/timeline.html

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
3D Peruna

wrote:

"mulderig" wrote in message
[...]

Well...yes, you're right... But true Lexan is different from what most
people think of when they talk about polycarbonate. It has different
properties than the "usual" less expensive stuff (and it's all expensive).
Check out the wiki he http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexan

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Michael Daly

On 9-Dec-2005, "3D Peruna" wrote:

Well...yes, you're right... But true Lexan is different from what most
people think of when they talk about polycarbonate. It has different
properties than the "usual" less expensive stuff (and it's all expensive).
Check out the wiki he http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexan

I can't see anything on that wiki page that justifies your claim. Perhaps you
could quote whatever it is that does.

Mike
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Chas Hurst

"3D Peruna" wrote in message

"Chas Hurst" wrote in message
Polycarbonate is not Lexan is not polycarbonate.

Well that would certainly be news to GE. They manufacture Lexan and sell
it
as polycarbonate.

Well...yes, you're right... But true Lexan is different from what most
people think of when they talk about polycarbonate. It has different
properties than the "usual" less expensive stuff (and it's all expensive).
Check out the wiki he http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexan

OK, what *do* most people think of when they talk about polycarbonate? The
wikipedia article doesn't address this.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
3D Peruna

"Michael Daly" wrote in message
news

On 9-Dec-2005, "3D Peruna" wrote:

Well...yes, you're right... But true Lexan is different from what most
people think of when they talk about polycarbonate. It has different
properties than the "usual" less expensive stuff (and it's all
expensive).
Check out the wiki he http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexan

I can't see anything on that wiki page that justifies your claim. Perhaps
you
could quote whatever it is that does.

Mike

Acrylic sheets... Most of the people ('round here at least) really mean
acrylic. Could be that we're talking about regional language issues. They
mean acrylic sheets, not polycarbonate, which is different stuff. They call
it Lexan, but don't mean Lexan, they mean acrylic (from the Wiki: Lexan is
similar to polymethyl methacrylate (Plexiglas/Lucite/Perspex) — commonly
described as Acrylic — in appearance, but is far more durable, often to the
point of being "bulletproof." Lexan is typically used in the aerospace
industry for items such as aircraft canopies, windscreens and other windows,
but can often be seen in household items, such as bottles, compact discs,
and DVDs.).

Polycarbonate is often (at least here) confused with Plexiglas, which again,
is a different product (as pointed out).

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Michael Daly

On 9-Dec-2005, "3D Peruna" wrote:

They call it Lexan, but don't mean Lexan, they mean acrylic

Nice, but in this thread, we were talking about acrylic and then someone
suggested Lexan - which, as was pointed out, is polycarbonate. Then _you_
said Lexan isn't polycarbonate. Then you point us to a wiki page that shows
that Lexan is polycarbonate. Stay focussed please.

Mike
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
3D Peruna

On 9-Dec-2005, "3D Peruna" wrote:

They call it Lexan, but don't mean Lexan, they mean acrylic

Nice, but in this thread, we were talking about acrylic and then someone
suggested Lexan - which, as was pointed out, is polycarbonate. Then _you_
said Lexan isn't polycarbonate. Then you point us to a wiki page that
shows
that Lexan is polycarbonate. Stay focussed please.

Relax...

Yes.... LEXAN is polycarbonate, not ACRYLIC, which is PLEXIGLASS. There!
Feel better?

Posted to alt.home.repair
tbl

On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 20:29:35 GMT, "PipeDown"
wrote:

Two layers of plastic with an air gap (vented away from quiet area) will
significantly reduce the noise over one sheet

"Michael Daly" wrote in message
. ..

On 6-Dec-2005, "3D Peruna" wrote:

"mulderig" wrote in message
It is sold at both of those stores. The Luctite is more expensive then
the
acrylic. I recently both a 6 x 4 foot sheet of the Lexan for about $57.
You can get cutters to cut it to the correct size for about $2.00 or
you
can have the store do it for you.

All the best,
M.

Just don't use a laser to cut lexan...

You can cut polycarbonate (generic name for Lexan) with woodworking tools.

http://www.sheffieldplastics.com/web_docs/Makrolon_Fabrication_Guide.pdf

I can add something to that. From the Naval Facilities
Engineering Command (U.S.) comes the "Architectural
Acoustics; Functional Requirements Design & Technology"
design manual 1.03, dated May, 1985.

From page 27:

.... Double-glazed units are no better [for sound insulation]
than single-glazed if the air space is 1/2 inch or thinner.
This is due to a resonance condition created by a close air
coupling of the glass panes. This type of glass should be
avoided near truck, train, or aircraft noise. A 2-inch
(50mm) airspace between glass panes will provide better
noise reduction.

*****

Oddly enough, the manual doesn't talk about acrylic windows,
something that should have been widely available in 1985.

The acrylic is much lighter than glass, of course, and may
offer less "mass-resistance" to deaden sound. Or, it may
have some other property that is better at absorbing
sound--I don't have any data quick at hand for that. But
you're probably not going to consider glass, under any
circumstance, for an over-head application.

I would think that the larger air space between panes would
apply to acrylic, as well, to attenuate accoustic coupling.

For the windows on my house, I simply installed double pane
windows in pairs--one window set on the outside, and one on
the inside, with mini-blinds in-between. I did all the
"outside" windows first, and noticed quite an improvement
over the original steel-framed casement windows. But when I
put the "inside" window-sets in, the noise reduction was
truly uncanny! Now, when there's a lot of traffic on the
street, opening just the inside window changes the
sound-level so much that it "feels" like opening a window in
a normal house. Then, if also open the outside window the
traffic noise blows my hair back (well, what hair I've got
left to blow back!).

Any house that I buy and live in, that has excessive
exterior noise, will get that treatment in a heart-beat!

I trimmed the inside window-sets with 1 x 4 white oak, and
attached the trim with countersunk, electroplated (yellow,
whatever it is) deck / drywall screws, and just let the
heads show. I think it looks nice.

--
tbl
Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Phillipson

"tbl" wrote in message

I can add something to that. From the Naval Facilities
Engineering Command (U.S.) comes the "Architectural
Acoustics; Functional Requirements Design & Technology"
design manual 1.03, dated May, 1985.

From page 27:

... Double-glazed units are no better [for sound insulation]
than single-glazed if the air space is 1/2 inch or thinner. . . A 2-inch
(50mm) airspace between glass panes will provide better noise reduction.

*****

Oddly enough, the manual doesn't talk about acrylic windows,
something that should have been widely available in 1985.

The acrylic is much lighter than glass, of course, and may
offer less "mass-resistance" to deaden sound.

A practical point is that lexan is so flexible that, for windows
of any size, you have to use say 6 mm. acrylic to replace
3 mm. glass -- which will weigh about the same and may
well be more expensive.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair
David Combs

In article ,
tbl wrote:

I trimmed the inside window-sets with 1 x 4 white oak, and
attached the trim with countersunk, electroplated (yellow,
whatever it is) deck / drywall screws, and just let the
heads show. I think it looks nice.

--
tbl

Back when I was living in manhattan (20 yrs ago), I switched my windows
to double windows, each sliding left-right on its own.

It had roughly 1" separation -- a lot better than these
windows today that have maybe .25" separation!

As with you, the noise reduction was incredible -- it
just disappeared.

But soon I started hearing noises again!

Different noises, though.

Water flowing through the pipes, pin-drops from upstairs, etc.

What do they say, there's no free lunch?

David

PS: In winter, it sure was now one hell of a lot warmer!

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to tbl, Jeff remus wrote:
Awesome, do you have any picture you are willing to share? I would like to do
the same for my home.

--
for full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ing-59189-.htm