Posted to alt.home.repair
SatGuyKnows

Default Hardwood flooring primer

Just finished installing 900 ft of red oak plank flooring bought from a mill
near our cottage. It came unfinished but sanded one side and t&g. Cost less
than 1.60 a sq ft by the time some extras got included.
Had to sand/stain/finish after installing because unfinished. But this was
the real stuff, 3/4" random length 4" and 6" wide. Fairly uniform & not the
'cottage grade' crap the big boxers are trying to pawn off as hardwood.
Chose red oak because it has great rot resistance and white oak is unknown
this far north.
The place i bought from is Highland Forest Products in Wilberforce Ontario.
Its a real mill, not some pretty boy setup. For the amount i saved and what
i ended up getting, it was worth the drive and haul.
BTW: They had some cottage grade stuff there that was going real cheap,
kindling.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller

"SatGuyKnows" wrote in message
[...]

Sounds like a great price, but who told you red oak was rot resistant?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Todd H.

œôòó Colonel œôòó writes:

Yeah, red oak rots fast, white oak is a whole 'nother ballgame.

I'm not disputing the claim, but quantify "fast" for me.

[looks down at 36 year old red oak floors that still look
great... scratches head]

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.