Posted to alt.home.repair
Pawel

Default to paint or to put a new siding

My house has a wooden siding that mostl likele is in a dire need of paint
(we bought it 5 years ago).
Does it make sense to put a new vinyl siding on it at that point instead?
Can one put a vinyl siding on top of woden one? will it enhance the
insulation? Are there really any advantages of keeping the wood siding and
paiting it over puting new vinyl one?
If anyone could direct me to a referende spources/site i would be grateful.

Pawel

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pawel wrote:
My house has a wooden siding that mostl likele is in a dire need of paint
(we bought it 5 years ago).
Does it make sense to put a new vinyl siding on it at that point instead?
Can one put a vinyl siding on top of woden one? will it enhance the
insulation? Are there really any advantages of keeping the wood siding and
paiting it over puting new vinyl one?
If anyone could direct me to a referende spources/site i would be grateful.

Pawel

around here vinyl on new homes is for budget puposes only. covering
wood is for people who either don't have a lot of time to do the
regular painting, the wood needs replacing but too expensive or older
folks who are not able to deal with the physical stress of painting or
the cost to hire someone to do it. vinyl can go over wood. There is
little or no R value in it.
It is of personal choice. There are some very nice looking vinyls on
the market now. Depends on the type of house.

Posted to alt.home.repair
PolyMorf

Pawel wrote:
My house has a wooden siding that mostl likele is in a dire need of
paint (we bought it 5 years ago).
Does it make sense to put a new vinyl siding on it at that point
instead? Can one put a vinyl siding on top of woden one? will it
enhance the insulation? Are there really any advantages of keeping
the wood siding and paiting it over puting new vinyl one?
If anyone could direct me to a referende spources/site i would be
grateful.
Pawel

Where I live, a suburb of Dayton, the houses are 30 to 35 years
old and most, including mine, have vinyl over the old siding. That
is pretty common practice around Ohio.

The vinyl goes over the old siding and is held in place with
corner and window channels. Between the siding and vinyl many
contractors put a thin sheet of accordion insulation. This helps
smooth out the surface for the vinyl so you don't get that wavy
look.

I went with the Mastic brand which was 0.048" thick. Proper
installation is CRUCIAL. I used an Alcoa master contractor
with 35 years experience. My siding on a equivalent one story
(I have a raised ranch) with partial brick on the front with soffit
trim, facia boards covered in coiled aluminum, and new gutters
ran $6,300. This was 4 years ago.

Regards,

Harry

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 5 Dec 2005 12:22:40 -0500, "Pawel"
wrote:

My house has a wooden siding that mostl likele is in a dire need of paint
(we bought it 5 years ago).
Does it make sense to put a new vinyl siding on it at that point instead?
Can one put a vinyl siding on top of woden one? will it enhance the
insulation? Are there really any advantages of keeping the wood siding and
paiting it over puting new vinyl one?
If anyone could direct me to a referende spources/site i would be grateful.

Pawel

The choice is yours, however, here are the facts.
Painting is MUCH cheaper, especially if you fo it yourself.
Vinyl siding is ugly and will need to be replaced in 20 years or less.
Vinyl adds no insulation by itself, but you can add foam sheets under
it and a much higher cost.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
The choice is yours, however, here are the facts.
Vinyl siding is ugly and will need to be replaced in 20 years or less.

That would be good information if it was true.

My house is 27 years old. The siding is in perfect condition. I have no
plans to replace it in the next five or more years. Newer siding is even
better looking and may last even longer. Most important, I enjoy not having
to paint it every few years.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Espen

"Edwin Pawlowski" writes:

wrote in message
The choice is yours, however, here are the facts.
Vinyl siding is ugly and will need to be replaced in 20 years or less.

That would be good information if it was true.

My house is 27 years old. The siding is in perfect condition. I have no
plans to replace it in the next five or more years. Newer siding is even
better looking and may last even longer. Most important, I enjoy not having
to paint it every few years.

Ditto.

Mine was installed in '89. Looks new and great.
It does not look like vinyl siding though:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/despen...deck-bump.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 03:28:45 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

wrote in message
The choice is yours, however, here are the facts.
Vinyl siding is ugly and will need to be replaced in 20 years or less.

That would be good information if it was true.

My house is 27 years old. The siding is in perfect condition. I have no
plans to replace it in the next five or more years. Newer siding is even
better looking and may last even longer. Most important, I enjoy not having
to paint it every few years.

I know a house that was sided with vinyl around 93. It looked bad
when it was installed, all warped and lumpy looking. They have had to
replace pieces that blew off in average wind storms, The pieces that
came off literally shattered to pieces just landing on the lawn, and
the whole house has cracks, gaps, and is just plain ugly. The owner
is my neighbor. He has ti inspected, said it was properly installed,
but the siding is crap. He plans to reside with wood or aluminum next
summer, and at the moment he has several 2x4's nailed vertically onto
the siding, with a steel frame standing against the house to keep the
siding in place on that side. He said he is not going to spend
another cent on that junk to repair it. Also, the vinyl or pvc
(plastic) rain gutters had to be replaced when they were 4 years old.
Hail punched so many holes in them they looked like swiss cheese. I
remember him showing me a piece of the stuff they took off. He took a
hammer and hit it, and 5 feet of gutter just exploded into a hundred
pieces. I would never install ANY plastic siding or gutters. Give me
wood, steel, or aluminum.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message

I know a house that was sided with vinyl around 93. It looked bad
when it was installed, all warped and lumpy looking. They have had to
replace pieces that blew off in average wind storms, The pieces that
came off literally shattered to pieces just landing on the lawn, and
the whole house has cracks, gaps, and is just plain ugly. The owner
is my neighbor. He has ti inspected, said it was properly installed,
but the siding is crap.

I would never install ANY plastic siding or gutters. Give me
wood, steel, or aluminum.

If it was lumpy when installed, I doubt it was done properly.

Like ay material, including your favorites, there are different grades and
different installations. If every house was like your neighbor's, the
siding industry would have been out of business many years ago. I know of
houses with aluminum, steel, and wood, that look like crap too.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Todd H.

"Pawel" writes:

My house has a wooden siding that mostl likele is in a dire need of paint
(we bought it 5 years ago).

Painting exteriors is quite a pain indeed.

Does it make sense to put a new vinyl siding on it at that point
instead?

I felt so, and was glad I did. Vinyl siding is pretty common in my
neighborhood/area.

Can one put a vinyl siding on top of woden one?

Yup. But... you do want to replace any rotten wood first.

will it enhance the insulation?

Keeping the existing wood siding in place does help your insulation
value. I'd also recommend putting up board insulation on top of hte
wood siding before the vinyl goes on.

Are there really any advantages of keeping the wood siding and
paiting it [versus] puting new vinyl one? If anyone could direct me
to a referende spources/site i would be grateful.

You're likely to get responses all over the map citing folks beliefs
on wood vs vinyl. It's a personal preference, and the market value of
vinyl vs wood in your area should be considered.

I have to say though, my 1970 cedar sided ****-brown home was so much
more satisfying to come home to after a few days of some good
craftsmen covering that crap up with premium grade dutch lap vinyl
siding, wrapping the windows in aluminnum, and insalling brand new
gutters, soffit, fascia. Place looked brand new when they were done,
and the whole job including siding and new windows weighed in under
$8000. Best money I ever spent on the place. And I don't get
awakened by wood peckers in the summer anymore.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Posted to alt.home.repair
Todd H.

(Todd H.) writes:
"Pawel" writes:

[...]

I slapped a few before and after pictures up that also shows the board
insulation that went up under the vinyl. The difference is pretty
dramatic. Location is in the Chicago, IL USA suburbs where siding
is quite common:
http://toddh.net/siding/

To those who think Vinyl is ugly, hey, I used to be among ya -- until
I bought a house with some really ugly, dated looking dark cedar
siding. Natural materials can look like ass too. I wish y'all well
to enjoy your scraping, priming and painting, I say!

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

Posted to alt.home.repair

The big unknown here is what kind of wood you currently have and what
condition it is in. There is big difference between top grade, well
installed and maintained cedar siding and something like cheap T-111
that is poorly installed and not maintained. If I had the former, I
would never cover it with vinyl. However, if you have existing wood
that is cheap and in poor condition, then vinyl could be a reasonable
alternative.

And the same is true of vinyl siding. A cheap product, poorly
installed isn't going to look like a premium one. IMO, real quality
wood will always look better. Think about high end custom homes you've
seen. How many of those had vinyl siding? But real wood comes with
the higher initial and maintenance cost. Which is right depends on
what's there now, what style home it is, what similar homes in the area
have, and your budget.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Todd H." wrote in message

It also bears mentioning that, there are often covenants in higher end
subdivisions/developments that mandate "must use natural materials" or
some such right in their covenants to eliminate the possibility of the
homes getting vinyl.

Vinyl is made from oil, a natural product so it should qualify

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 21:12:50 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Todd H." wrote in message

It also bears mentioning that, there are often covenants in higher end
subdivisions/developments that mandate "must use natural materials" or
some such right in their covenants to eliminate the possibility of the
homes getting vinyl.

Vinyl is made from oil, a natural product so it should qualify

Steel and aluminum are natural too, but steel and maybe aluminum
interfere with radio and and maybe tv reception. The siding company
told me they didn't, but I called a radio antenna company (Temna?) and
the woman told me they caused problems.

Seems likely to me. Ever drive through a steel frame bridge?

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 11:18:05 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

According to someone that inspected it, and who knows what he is
doing, it was installed properly. It was junk siding. Very poor
quality crap. As far as the rain gutters, that inspector said he
never recommends anyone install them. He said they bake in the sun
and just disintegrate !

Personally, I can not stand the look of plastic siding. But thats
just my opinion and preference. Plastic is just ugly stuff, what else
can I say.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6 Dec 2005 12:21:24 -0800, wrote:

[...]

Its funny this came up in this thread, because I was thinking about a
friends house. He had cedar shakes over redwood horiz boards, and I
always loved the look of that house. It was very decorative and
reminded me of a summer cottage where someone would go to fish and get
away from the world. Except it was in a small city. However, his
family outgrew that small house and because of building codes, he
could not add on as he wanted. He sold the place. The next owner
covered it with plastic siding. Both of us about vomited ! It went
from being a cute house to a boring plastic box with no eye appeal,
and now looked like every other house. Worse yet, the guy tore off
the front porch, which was all glass windows, and made the house even
smaller. We both agreed it looked like **** when he finished. Whats
funny, my friend sold the place in a couple weeks. This new guy
apparenlly bought it to sell at a profit, and over a year later it's
still for sale and empty.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Todd H." wrote in message

It also bears mentioning that, there are often covenants in higher end
subdivisions/developments that mandate "must use natural materials" or
some such right in their covenants to eliminate the possibility of the
homes getting vinyl.

Vinyl is made from oil, a natural product so it should qualify

Steel and aluminum are natural too, but steel and maybe aluminum
interfere with radio and and maybe tv reception. The siding company
told me they didn't, but I called a radio antenna company (Temna?) and
the woman told me they caused problems.

Seems likely to me. Ever drive through a steel frame bridge?

You are correct about the metal siding causing poor reception, but
thats what roof antennas are for.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Todd H." wrote in message

It also bears mentioning that, there are often covenants in higher end
subdivisions/developments that mandate "must use natural materials" or
some such right in their covenants to eliminate the possibility of the
homes getting vinyl.

Vinyl is made from oil, a natural product so it should qualify

And then we complain about the gas prices !!!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
Personally, I can not stand the look of plastic siding. But thats
just my opinion and preference. Plastic is just ugly stuff, what else
can I say.

Some is crap, some is mediocre, but some cannot be told from wood at 50
paces. I'll bet you've driven by some homes and never thought it was vinyl
but it was.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rich256

wrote in message
Personally, I can not stand the look of plastic siding. But thats
just my opinion and preference. Plastic is just ugly stuff, what else
can I say.

Some is crap, some is mediocre, but some cannot be told from wood at 50
paces. I'll bet you've driven by some homes and never thought it was

vinyl
but it was.

I have Alcoa vinyl siding and a Gerard steel roof that looks like tile.
Most everyone doesn't believe the roof is steel either.

http://www.gerardusa.com/tile-roofing.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Rich256" wrote in message

I have Alcoa vinyl siding and a Gerard steel roof that looks like tile.
Most everyone doesn't believe the roof is steel either.

http://www.gerardusa.com/tile-roofing.htm

They sure look nice. I was considering a steel roof but at the time, it was
about 4X the price of good shingles so I passed on it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rich256

"Rich256" wrote in message

I have Alcoa vinyl siding and a Gerard steel roof that looks like tile.
Most everyone doesn't believe the roof is steel either.

http://www.gerardusa.com/tile-roofing.htm

They sure look nice. I was considering a steel roof but at the time, it

was
about 4X the price of good shingles so I passed on it.

M insurance paid for it after a destructive hail storm. And, then got a 27%
discount on homeowners insurance for the steel roof.