Posted to alt.home.repair
dk

Default Dishwasher - Floor - Dilema

A few years back I had vinyl place on my kitchen floor. The sub floor
was in such bad shape that the installers had to lay 3/4 inch plywood.
I'm now having tile installed in the kitchen which requires 3/4 inch of
backboard. The problem is that with the additional 1 and 1/2 inches of
sub floor I have no clearance to maneuver my dish washer. I could leave
the dishwasher as is but I know that one day the dishwasher will fail
and I'll have to replace it. Any ideas how to get around the potential
problem???

TIA
Posted to alt.home.repair
docmill

dk wrote in :

A few years back I had vinyl place on my kitchen floor. The sub floor
was in such bad shape that the installers had to lay 3/4 inch plywood.
I'm now having tile installed in the kitchen which requires 3/4 inch of
backboard. The problem is that with the additional 1 and 1/2 inches of
sub floor I have no clearance to maneuver my dish washer. I could leave
the dishwasher as is but I know that one day the dishwasher will fail
and I'll have to replace it. Any ideas how to get around the potential
problem???

TIA

You need to shim up the floor cabinets to meet the existing floor or you
can't get around it. If I read this right, it's not a good idea anyway to
try and makeshift this into a matching problem. You would either need to
raise all the countertop, 3/4" or shim the floor cabinets up and have a
true installation. Either way the counter tops are the big deal.

--
**************SEND ME A LINK******************
Docmill's "Home Of Hotlinks In the FryingSpam"
Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

look into drawer dishwasher style?
shim up countertop?
here's a link to bosch to see an example of dimensions for you to
compare to:

http://boschappliances.com/products/...375&menu_id=10

also see free standing dishwashers:
http://www.epinions.com/Dishwashers-.../adv_search_~1

see dish drawer style at:
http://www.fisherpaykel.com/pdf_spec...DishDrawer.pdf

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sacramento Dave

"dk" wrote in message
A few years back I had vinyl place on my kitchen floor. The sub floor
was in such bad shape that the installers had to lay 3/4 inch plywood.
I'm now having tile installed in the kitchen which requires 3/4 inch of
backboard. The problem is that with the additional 1 and 1/2 inches of
sub floor I have no clearance to maneuver my dish washer. I could leave
the dishwasher as is but I know that one day the dishwasher will fail
and I'll have to replace it. Any ideas how to get around the potential
problem???

TIA

Why can't you use 1/4" backer Tinseted and nailed down that will give a
half inch. What kind of floor are you putting down?

Posted to alt.home.repair
ameijers

"dk" wrote in message
A few years back I had vinyl place on my kitchen floor. The sub floor
was in such bad shape that the installers had to lay 3/4 inch plywood.
I'm now having tile installed in the kitchen which requires 3/4 inch of
backboard. The problem is that with the additional 1 and 1/2 inches of
sub floor I have no clearance to maneuver my dish washer. I could leave
the dishwasher as is but I know that one day the dishwasher will fail
and I'll have to replace it. Any ideas how to get around the potential
problem???

Rip up the 3/4 plywood, and replace with the backer board. Since you say
dishwasher would be trapped, I assume they didn't go under the cabinets.
Only other 'proper' cure is to pull the base cabinets, infill subfloor to
same height, and reinstall cabinets, either before or after the new backer
and tile floor. I'm old fashioned, and prefer cabinets to go in last. Avoids
wicking between layers when leaks happen. Material is cheaper than labor,
anyway- a lot quicker to lay floor wall to wall, and anyone can install base
cabinets. (Hell, if they paid ME to do it as a kid, it can't be that
hard...) And with a full floor, when the new tile makes the cabinets look
seedy next year, a lot easier to switch them out, and maybe change the
layout a little.

If your original sub floor was so bad they had to use 3/4 to level it out,
I'd be concerned about it being stiff enough for tile. Have they checked for
deflection under load? I don't remember formula, bit someone quotes it on
here regularly.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Abe

A few years back I had vinyl place on my kitchen floor. The sub floor
was in such bad shape that the installers had to lay 3/4 inch plywood.
I'm now having tile installed in the kitchen which requires 3/4 inch of
backboard. The problem is that with the additional 1 and 1/2 inches of
sub floor I have no clearance to maneuver my dish washer. I could leave
the dishwasher as is but I know that one day the dishwasher will fail
and I'll have to replace it. Any ideas how to get around the potential
problem???

Sounds like it might be time to rip out the 2 existing subfloors and
start fresh.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dk

buffalobill wrote:
look into drawer dishwasher style?
shim up countertop?
here's a link to bosch to see an example of dimensions for you to
compare to:

http://boschappliances.com/products/...375&menu_id=10

also see free standing dishwashers:
http://www.epinions.com/Dishwashers-.../adv_search_~1

see dish drawer style at:
http://www.fisherpaykel.com/pdf_spec...DishDrawer.pdf

Thanks everyone for your replies. Too bad the fisher paykel cost too
much!