Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub

Default Disappointed with Maytag quality

Ignoramus20878 wrote:
We have a maytag washer. It broke down 2 years ago and again this
year. In both cases, the cause was that the plunger that activates the
washer when the cover is lowered, wore itself out, shortened and no
longer could reliably actuate the switch. The previous time I adjusted
the plastic thing that pushes the plunger, this year I screwed a screw
into the plunger to make it 1mm longer.

I am disappointed that Maytag decided to save perhaps 50 cents, and
went from using a metal part that would not wear out, to plastic part
that they knew would wear out (and would bring them a few bucks each
time customers need to replace it).

I guess Maytag is no longer a quality brand. If they did it
intentionally so that customers pay them $X each time the plunger
wears out and they need a new plunger, I would even call it
dishonest.

I have it on good authority that Maytag tested the little plastic thingy
that activates the door-closed switch. They opened and closed the door over
100,000 times, measuring the wear and deformation of the thingy every 1,000
openings. They subjected the thingy to extremes in temperature, vibration,
gases, sunlight, and the chemicals normally found in the washing environment
(soap, bleach, etc.).

You evidently have a cat that gnaws on thingys. They did not.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art

I remember having a old whirlpool washer and the thingy broke but the thingy
back then stopped the washer when you opened the lid and wasn't required to
keep the washer going so no one cared back then if the thingy broke. I
replaced it with a screw head.