Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony

Default question about toilet tank rubber washers

Just a question I was wondering about as I was replacing a toilet this
weekend...how long (on average) do those rubber washers that help
connect and seal the toilet tank to the bowl last? The toilet I replaced
was almost 30 years old and I know in the 10 years we've lived in the
house they've never been replaced and I'd "suspect" the previous owner
may never have replaced them either. Anybody have an idea on a life
expectancy for these washers?

Thanks in advance,
Tony

Posted to alt.home.repair
Roger Taylor

"Tony" wrote in message
Just a question I was wondering about as I was replacing a toilet this
weekend...how long (on average) do those rubber washers that help connect
and seal the toilet tank to the bowl last? The toilet I replaced was
almost 30 years old and I know in the 10 years we've lived in the house
they've never been replaced and I'd "suspect" the previous owner may never
have replaced them either. Anybody have an idea on a life expectancy for
these washers?

I am not a plumber, just a homeowner, but my impression is that they tend to
last a very long time if they have wide brass flanges or washers on their
top side, as they are sealed between porcelain and brass, with the rims
constantly submerged, slowing oxidation and stiffening, unlike washers or
tires exposed to air/ozone/pollutants. When they do leak, in my experience,
they begin failing as a slow leak, for unlike washers and hoses under house
pressure of 50 psi or so, these washers are under pressure of less than 1/2
pound psi.. Nevertheless, if I am going to change the flush valve, flapper,
and guts, I tend to also change the washers - and bolts if they show
corrosion.