Posted to alt.home.repair
badgolferman

Default wallboard installation

I have seen wallboard installed widthwise and also lengthwise. It
seems lengthwise would have less seams to fill. What is the advantage
of installing it widthwise?

--
"If I can hit a curveball, why can't I hit a ball that is standing
still on a course?" -- Larry Nelson
Posted to alt.home.repair
RNR_construction

"badgolferman" wrote in message
I have seen wallboard installed widthwise and also lengthwise. It
seems lengthwise would have less seams to fill. What is the advantage
of installing it widthwise?

--
"If I can hit a curveball, why can't I hit a ball that is standing
still on a course?" -- Larry Nelson

My BIL ( he is a professional rocker) says the seams are less visible when
the rock is Horizontle

Posted to alt.home.repair
douglas anderson

"RNR_construction" wrote in message

"badgolferman" wrote in message
I have seen wallboard installed widthwise and also lengthwise. It
seems lengthwise would have less seams to fill. What is the advantage
of installing it widthwise?

--
"If I can hit a curveball, why can't I hit a ball that is standing
still on a course?" -- Larry Nelson

My BIL ( he is a professional rocker) says the seams are less visible when
the rock is Horizontle

It also saves the mudders time as they don't spend as much time up and down
a ladder or on stilts.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

badgolferman wrote:
I have seen wallboard installed widthwise and also lengthwise. It
seems lengthwise would have less seams to fill. What is the advantage
of installing it widthwise?

Running the boards horizontally is pretty much standard but not
mandatory. This from the USG handbook: "Proper planning achieves the
most effective use of materials, elimination of unnecessary joints, and
the placement of necessary joints in the least conspicuous locations.
One gypsum board should span the entire length or width of the wall or
ceiling, if possible. By using the longest practical board lengths
obtainable, end joints are kept to a minimum. Where they do occur, end
joints should be staggered."

http://www.usg.com/resources/handbooks/ViewGCH.do