Posted to alt.home.repair
Jack

Default Dreaded attic mold... just found it

up in my attic today... found black mold.

All along one side... growing up inside plywood surface. about 2 feet
up. Unsure if it is down below insulation. Black in color, but not
shiny. If memory serves,"shiny" black is really nasty stuff. I think
this is common stuff/

No other evidence of water damage, did find bathroom fan vented into
attic... lots of people live in house, so lot of humid air has been
pumped up there, Could that have caused it?

New roof about 7 years ago, no evidence of leaks.

No respiratory problems noticed in house.

What is first move after properly venting bathrooms, would like to
mediate it myself if possible. can I toss out old insulation, wash
down with bleach & replace insulation? What else needed?,

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark

bath should not vent into attic...

get a spray bottle with bleach and water and spray it directly onto the
mold.

check it a week later and check it once per year

spray again as required

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Probably the bath fan, dont use it till its properly vented. Get a
garden sprayer use straight bleach [ its 97-98 % water anyway] and
spray, I would not worry about the insulation now, if the problem is the
fan it will clear up and die. If not it will return and it means you
lack venting. If you have eave vents be sure all are uncovered .

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Jack wrote:
No other evidence of water damage, did find bathroom fan vented into
attic... lots of people live in house, so lot of humid air has been
pumped up there, Could that have caused it?

Yea. Someone violated the rule to never vent a bath fan to the attic.
It is a common "error" made by cheap builders who don't care.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit