Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Rheem Furnace stuck in on off cycle

Hello furnace experts,

My Rheem furnace does not seem to light up fully. The pilot lamp comes
on and then goes off. The furnace is stuck in this loop. When the pilot
light goes off, I held a match stick to see if the gas is still coming.
The pilot does not stay on with the match stick. This is the first time
I'm trying to use the furnace this season and I'm not sure where the
problem is. Another thing I have noticed last winter is when it is
really cold it took the furnance more than 30 mins to start working.

Appreciate your input.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
CBHVAC

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello furnace experts,

My Rheem furnace does not seem to light up fully. The pilot lamp comes
on and then goes off. The furnace is stuck in this loop. When the pilot
light goes off, I held a match stick to see if the gas is still coming.
The pilot does not stay on with the match stick. This is the first time
I'm trying to use the furnace this season and I'm not sure where the
problem is. Another thing I have noticed last winter is when it is
really cold it took the furnance more than 30 mins to start working.

Appreciate your input.

Thanks

No one here can tell you whats wrong with it behind a monitor.
It COULD be about 4 different things, or more, depending on the model of the
Rheem you have, if its actually a Rheem, or a rebadged Consolodated...etc..
You had problems last year....so the question you need to answer is when was
the last time you had it properly serviced?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Is your furnace a high efficiency model with power exhaust, ie blower
motor that exhausts through a side wall. These normally have
electronic ignition with a glow plug in the combustion chamer. Problem
could be a restriction in exhaust pipe, ie birds nest. If exhaust is
blocked furnace won't light. Most furnaces these days have computer
control/monitoring. If your does the LED should flash a trouble code
which would help diagnoise the problem. The furnace with try and light
only so many times, you have to turn power to it off, so it will reset
before trying again.

wrote:
Hello furnace experts,

My Rheem furnace does not seem to light up fully. The pilot lamp comes
on and then goes off. The furnace is stuck in this loop. When the pilot
light goes off, I held a match stick to see if the gas is still coming.
The pilot does not stay on with the match stick. This is the first time
I'm trying to use the furnace this season and I'm not sure where the
problem is. Another thing I have noticed last winter is when it is
really cold it took the furnance more than 30 mins to start working.

Appreciate your input.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm not sure if it is high efficiency model. This was installed by the
previous owner I guess. Not sure how old it is also. This does not have
LEDs which indicate the status. It has an electronic ignition. When I
turn it on (set the temp to 70 deg) the pilot lights up for about 2-4
seconds and then dies down for about 2-4 seconds. During this time I
dont think the gas is released because I was holding a match stick. The
on-off cycle continues for some time and eventually in about 30 mins or
so the heater started to work. For now things seem to be ok. Any
suggestions as to what to do next? I'm wondering if there is a part
that is temperature sensitive and needs servicing or replacing.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

There is a termo couple that sticks into the pilot light flame tip,
about 1/4" in diameter and 1" long. It is connected to furnace gas
control valve. It's purpose is to sence heat, ie lit pilot light. If
no heat is detected to turn gas off, or not on. Replacing that may do
the trick.