Posted to alt.home.repair
Spud

Default Well pressure question

"Keith" #ca wrote in message
Hi all,

I have an in-well pump with a solenoid and expansion tank where the line
enters the house. Can someone please advise what the air pressure
should be in the tank? I had thought it was to be 28 or 29 lbs and put
this when the line was depressurized. Upon opening the line, the
pressure of course went up to 60 or 70 lbs with the pressure of the
water on it. I thought this was OK but a neighbour said it was way too
high. So, what is the proper procedure to do this and how much pressure
should I put in the bladder?

Also, what are the proper settings for the high (cut-off) and low
(cut-in) pressures?

Thanks

Keith

You must have a 40/60 so 38
But reading your other post hope you have a safety relief valve
these pop about 75 psi far below a water heater TPR valve

Spud
A stuck pressure vavle

Posted to alt.home.repair
bumtracks

pump/impeller and installation design determines the cut in and cut off
pressures.
adjust pressure of the air bladder to 2 lbs below cut-in with water
pressures/suction in the tank or and no hot sun beating on it...
anotherwords kill pump power and open a faucet check and adjust pressure.

"Keith" #ca wrote in message
Hi all,

I have an in-well pump with a solenoid and expansion tank where the line
enters the house. Can someone please advise what the air pressure should
be in the tank? I had thought it was to be 28 or 29 lbs and put this when
the line was depressurized. Upon opening the line, the pressure of course
went up to 60 or 70 lbs with the pressure of the water on it. I thought
this was OK but a neighbour said it was way too high. So, what is the
proper procedure to do this and how much pressure should I put in the
bladder?

Also, what are the proper settings for the high (cut-off) and low (cut-in)
pressures?

Thanks

Keith

Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K

Keith wrote:
Hi all,

I have an in-well pump with a solenoid and expansion tank where the line
enters the house. Can someone please advise what the air pressure
should be in the tank? I had thought it was to be 28 or 29 lbs and put
this when the line was depressurized. Upon opening the line, the
pressure of course went up to 60 or 70 lbs with the pressure of the
water on it. I thought this was OK but a neighbour said it was way too
high. So, what is the proper procedure to do this and how much pressure
should I put in the bladder?

Also, what are the proper settings for the high (cut-off) and low
(cut-in) pressures?

Thanks

Keith

The pre-charge is adjusted with the tank empty (turn off pump and open
a valve) and is set to approximately 2 psi below your cut-in pressure.

Standard pressures for residentual systems

20/40 - adequate but minimal and not very satisfactory at the low end.
30/50 - good. Some impulse sprinklers might have a problem at the low
end.
40/60 - very good but not really needed unless doing a lot of
irrigation. Some people like this because of the 'hard, needle shower'
at all ranges.
Setting over 40/60 are not recommended as they cause excess wear on
fixtures.

The pressure switch should have instructions on how to adjust it.
Usually one screw taller than the others will adjust both the cut
in/out settings while the others adjust just one of them.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair
Keith

Default Thanks Everyone

Thanks to Bumtracks, Harry K, and Spud for taking the time to respond.
Set it up yesterday and tap pressure is now much better than it was.

Keith

OT? Q: Steam pressure gauge Jeff Wisnia Metalworking 0 November 22nd 05 03:30 AM
Gas Pressure Question... Rob UK diy 5 April 5th 05 08:35 AM
Powerwasher pressure regulation question Moray Cuthill Metalworking 21 March 10th 05 01:17 AM
hot water heating system pressure question Rsrtgsprngs Home Repair 6 November 3rd 04 03:35 AM
How safe is it to short out pressure switches in central A/C conpressor? [email protected] Home Repair 4 June 25th 03 05:38 PM