Posted to alt.home.repair
bob_not_you're_uncle

Default your thoughts on this flowerbed / tree border

I was looking for ways of replacing the old horizontal landscape timbers
around my flowerbed and two trees in the front yard. I wanted to do
something cheaper than stone, but different than the standard horizontal
landscape timbers. I'm going to put the house up for sale.

This picture is of ''redwood rounds'' but I was thinking of doing the same
thing with landscape timbers. Just cut short pieces to varying heights (or
only two heights?) and plant them in a shallow ditch with quikrete.

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/gl_design_b...371519,00.html

Should be the first picture you see with "redwood rounds" in the caption.
Thanks for your opinion.

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

stones and lumber can make lawnmowing more difficult in buffalo ny.
kids can throw stones all over the yard.
how about some energy efficient LED architectural lighting run off a
decorative wind generator...

Posted to alt.home.repair

I think the choice depends on the style of the house.

I, personally, don't like the look of the "rounds".
Are the timbers deteriorated?
What's the need for change?
TB

Posted to alt.home.repair
ronm

I agree it depends on the house. Personally I prefer the rounds to the
timbers if your going to do it. If the garden is level I would either go
with random lengths or all the same. Two heights seems to contived to me.
But if your going to sell it I would consider not doing all that work. Why
not just cut in a neat looking border edge and let the new owners do what
they would like.

wrote in message
oups.com...
I think the choice depends on the style of the house.

I, personally, don't like the look of the "rounds".
Are the timbers deteriorated?
What's the need for change?
TB

Posted to alt.home.repair
bob_not_you're_uncle

wrote in message
oups.com...
I think the choice depends on the style of the house.

I, personally, don't like the look of the "rounds".
Are the timbers deteriorated?
What's the need for change?
TB

yeah, the existing landscape timbers are falling apart so I need to do
something.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob S.

bob_not_you're_uncle wrote:

Thanks for your opinion.

And that's all landscaping is - an individual's opinion of what looks
good to them. Opinions of others do not really count.
That being said, here's another option. Install black plastic edging
to about 2" - 3" above ground, then plant monkey grass inside and
against the edging. The umbrella shape of the grass will hide the
edging and the edging will contain the grass.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

bob_not_you're_uncle wrote:
I was looking for ways of replacing the old horizontal landscape timbers
around my flowerbed and two trees in the front yard. I wanted to do
something cheaper than stone, but different than the standard horizontal
landscape timbers. I'm going to put the house up for sale.

This picture is of ''redwood rounds'' but I was thinking of doing the same
thing with landscape timbers. Just cut short pieces to varying heights (or
only two heights?) and plant them in a shallow ditch with quikrete.

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/gl_design_b...371519,00.html

Should be the first picture you see with "redwood rounds" in the caption.
Thanks for your opinion.

That is not a project I would bother with if I was putting the house up
for sale. Beds should be tidy, and, if need be, a couple of feature
plants (not too expensive) to add curb appeal. The vertical wood is
harder to mow around. I like the black plastic that looks like a hose
with a straight flange that is buried. It stays in place unless soil is
sand, blends with soil, and the mower can ride the edge and eliminate
need for trimming along the edge of the bed. Also pretty nice to
contain stone if it doesn't get kicked around too much. If you go with
the timbers, just bury about 6" or so of it. I would not use concrete.