Posted to alt.home.repair
Brad Bruce

Default Cutting ceramic tile

I will be redoing a SMALL bathroom soon (less than 20 sq feet). I would
like to put in a tile floor. I'll only be making a few cuts (2 walls and
around the toilet. (Pedastal sink))

I've heard about "rod saw" blades to put in a hack saw for the curved cuts.
Is there anything similar for the straight cuts? I don't want to spend too
much on tools that I could put into other projects.

Thanks
Brad
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT

When I first installed ceramic tile about 25 years ago, I tried a number of
products to cut the tiles. I found it depends on the type of tile. The floor
tile was like cutting cast iron, nothing worked except a rented diamond saw.
I burned up a number of drill bits trying to cut the circle around the
toilet flange. The wall tiles were easier, but took a lot of work to slowly
cut them that I again rented a diamond saw. The diamond saw cut through both
the floor tile and wall tiles like they were butter. Now it is the only way
to go, and I now own one for the job.

"Brad Bruce" wrote in message
I will be redoing a SMALL bathroom soon (less than 20 sq feet). I would
like to put in a tile floor. I'll only be making a few cuts (2 walls and
around the toilet. (Pedastal sink))

I've heard about "rod saw" blades to put in a hack saw for the curved

cuts.
Is there anything similar for the straight cuts? I don't want to spend

too
much on tools that I could put into other projects.

Thanks
Brad

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ken

Brad Bruce wrote:

I will be redoing a SMALL bathroom soon (less than 20 sq feet). I would
like to put in a tile floor. I'll only be making a few cuts (2 walls and
around the toilet. (Pedastal sink))

I've heard about "rod saw" blades to put in a hack saw for the curved cuts.
Is there anything similar for the straight cuts? I don't want to spend too
much on tools that I could put into other projects.

Thanks
Brad

Go to a tile store and I think you will find you can rent the proper
tools. Ceramic tile is great and PERMANENT as compared to other
coverings. You will be glad you did it, if you do it right.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Old_boat

"Ken" wrote in message
Brad Bruce wrote:

I will be redoing a SMALL bathroom soon (less than 20 sq feet). I would
like to put in a tile floor. I'll only be making a few cuts (2 walls and
around the toilet. (Pedastal sink))

I've heard about "rod saw" blades to put in a hack saw for the curved
cuts. Is there anything similar for the straight cuts? I don't want to
spend too much on tools that I could put into other projects.

Thanks
Brad

Go to a tile store and I think you will find you can rent the proper
tools. Ceramic tile is great and PERMANENT as compared to other
coverings. You will be glad you did it, if you do it right.

For $59.00 you can buy a tile saw from harbor freight. It is not the best
but works well and will do what you want it to do for only a little more
than the rental fee.

Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat

I had the tile store cut my tile which they were willing to do for free. I
would mark a half dozen or so at a time and take them down to the store.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH

Brad Bruce wrote:
I will be redoing a SMALL bathroom soon (less than 20 sq feet). I
would like to put in a tile floor. I'll only be making a few cuts (2
walls and around the toilet. (Pedastal sink))

I've heard about "rod saw" blades to put in a hack saw for the curved
cuts. Is there anything similar for the straight cuts? I don't want
to spend too much on tools that I could put into other projects.

Glass cutter and straight edge. Score the tile, snap over a dowel.

Your best bet is just to have the few cuts you need made at a shop.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Brad Bruce

Brad Bruce wrote in
:

I will be redoing a SMALL bathroom soon (less than 20 sq feet). I
would like to put in a tile floor. I'll only be making a few cuts (2
walls and around the toilet. (Pedastal sink))

I've heard about "rod saw" blades to put in a hack saw for the curved
cuts. Is there anything similar for the straight cuts? I don't want
to spend too much on tools that I could put into other projects.

Thanks
Brad

Thanks for the advice guys. After calling around and finally remembering
that I knew a family member who works for a BORG, I've found that I can
buy the wet saw for not too much money.

Of course now the wife wants the OTHER bathroom done as well....

Brad