Posted to alt.home.repair
Jack

Default Punching a hole in concrete

I need to put a hole in a basement floor. To save my wife all the dust, I
am going to drill holes with a hammer drill, then break out the concrete.
The hole will be about 30 inches square. Question: How many holes would you
drill around the perimeter? Size of drilled hole? I have a 3/4 in hammer
drill.. How deep do I need to drill the holes. I was thinking of going
right through the slab.
Thank you for your time.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sacramento Dave

"Jack" wrote in message news:6Ktgf.6000$Ze6.5339@trndny04...
I need to put a hole in a basement floor. To save my wife all the dust, I
am going to drill holes with a hammer drill, then break out the concrete.
The hole will be about 30 inches square. Question: How many holes would

you
drill around the perimeter? Size of drilled hole? I have a 3/4 in hammer
drill.. How deep do I need to drill the holes. I was thinking of going
right through the slab.
Thank you for your time.

What about a cut off saw with a diamond blade, The might have one with a

water feed. A hammer drill is going to be allot of work, The more holes the
better, I would go all the way threw . The best way would be hire a concrete
cutting Co.don't know about the cost but they will take that stepping stone
with them.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB

"Jack" wrote
I need to put a hole in a basement floor. To save my wife all the dust,
am going to drill holes with a hammer drill, then break out the concrete.
The hole will be about 30 inches square. Question: How many holes would

you
drill around the perimeter? Size of drilled hole? I have a 3/4 in
hammer
drill.. How deep do I need to drill the holes. I was thinking of going
right through the slab.
Thank you for your time.

Well, do the math. 120 inches divided by .75 if you use a .75" bit. Looks
like 160 holes. 240 if you are going to use a .5" bit. That is a LOT of
drilling. Going deep enough to get through the slab is also a LOT of
drilling. And, you WILL be hitting aggregate, rebar and/or wire.

It can be done with a drill, but why would you want to do it that way?

You could also do it with a hammer and chisel, but that would take you two
forevers.

Do it once, do it right. Rent a concrete saw, wet the concrete, and tell
the wife to cope. Or hire a concrete sawing company.

Steve