Posted to alt.home.repair
fish

Default Galvanized water supply: replacement effort

Hi again,

our property has galvanized water supply lines, it is a 2 story double
with a basement. there is one bathroom with a shower, toilet, and
sink on the second floor, and there is one kitchen with one sink on
the first floor--of course. No bath on the first floor.

For those experienced with the task of supply line replacement, what
cost should I expect if I call in an expert to do the job?

In a way, this seems like an easy job to me, I have replaced many
water fixtures, on/off supply line valves, and added water fixtures to
my current home for outside use. Should I attempt to replace these
supply pipes myself?

Thanks, again,
Fish

Posted to alt.home.repair
Roger Taylor

" our property has galvanized water supply lines, it is a 2 story double
with a basement. there is one bathroom with a shower, toilet, and
sink on the second floor, and there is one kitchen with one sink on
the first floor--of course. No bath on the first floor.

For those experienced with the task of supply line replacement, what
cost should I expect if I call in an expert to do the job?

In a way, this seems like an easy job to me, I have replaced many
water fixtures, on/off supply line valves, and added water fixtures to
my current home for outside use. Should I attempt to replace these
supply pipes myself?

Estimates are free. To save money, I used cheap local labor to do all the
ditching, then got plumbers' estimates for the copper piping job, awarded a
contract, then left the ditch and pipe exposed for a week to make sure all
joints were leakproof, before burying the line.

Posted to alt.home.repair
fish

The lines i am talking about are in the house, not in the yard. when
you say 'ditching' are you refering to inside the drywall, or in the
yard?

Fish

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 14:09:22 -0800, "Roger Taylor"
wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Roger Taylor

"fish" wrote in message
The lines i am talking about are in the house, not in the yard. when
you say 'ditching' are you refering to inside the drywall, or in the
yard?

Sorry for the misunderstanding - I thought when you said supply line, you
meant primarily the line from water meter to the house connection, so
mentioned ditching.
We didn't have any interior pipes replaced, only the main supply line, as
the inside hot water lines had been upgraded to copper by the prior owner,
and the cold water iron pipes are nearly inaccessible, and still running at
good volume. About all you can do is once you have a clear understanding of
where all the existing lines are, get several estimates from plumbers that
friends/neighbors recommend, and ones that Better Business Bureau has no
reports on.

Power Supply Repair fernando1222 Electronics Repair 0 June 7th 05 09:18 PM
Water Softeners, good or bad?? Martin Hirsch Home Repair 23 July 14th 04 03:27 AM
need hot water FAST PV Home Repair 38 January 30th 04 01:15 AM
Why is this a bad idea? Mike Hibbert UK diy 18 August 28th 03 11:59 PM