Amamba

Default Leaking doors ?

Hi,

I have two doors in the house that leak. One is a side garage door, a
simple aluminum frame door. The other is the basement patio sliding
door. Doors are 18 yrs old. Both doors leak around the bottom corners
of the frame in moderate to heavy rain. I suspect that the sliding door
has a broken seal somewhere in the channel. I noticed leaks last year,
and this summer went around with lots of caulking, but it didn't fix
the problem.

My question is, is there a relatively simple fix (flashing, weather
guard) that I can use to protect the doors from leaking ?

Also, can the sliding door (aluminum frame door that slides in a
channel) be re-sealed, or am I better off just buying a new one ?

m Ransley

An aluminum slider is no comparison to a new quality wood , composite or
fiberglass ,Low E Argon door . Little air infiltration and less cold
througt the glass and frame. Aluminum frames are perfect to transfer in
the cold. A new quality door can make a huge difference, I notice it
easily.

tom

You might check for drainage holes/passages at the outer door frame
base of the slider. These can become clogged. Tom

Norminn

Amamba wrote:

Hi,

I have two doors in the house that leak. One is a side garage door, a
simple aluminum frame door. The other is the basement patio sliding
door. Doors are 18 yrs old. Both doors leak around the bottom corners
of the frame in moderate to heavy rain. I suspect that the sliding door
has a broken seal somewhere in the channel. I noticed leaks last year,
and this summer went around with lots of caulking, but it didn't fix
the problem.

My question is, is there a relatively simple fix (flashing, weather
guard) that I can use to protect the doors from leaking ?

Also, can the sliding door (aluminum frame door that slides in a
channel) be re-sealed, or am I better off just buying a new one ?

We have old sliders, under a balcony so they are protected. Only time
they leak is when I wash them. The rubber "glazing" meets at the top of
the frame, so I finally got around to sticking a little silicone caulk
in the space. If the wheels or the track are worn, there can be a gap
allowing wind driven rain in - we just had repairs on ours which
included putting down a new rail that snaps in right on top of the old
track. Previous to that, there was about 1/2" gap at lower end of door
between slider and the adjacent stationary pane - hubby used to have the
satellite cable coming in the door until I nagged sufficiently ) New
sliders would be nice, but so would a new Mercedes )

m Ransley

Normin you are so typical, you would rather have a door that costs a few
to many $ more a month to heat and cool your house and drive a mercedes
The mercedes only goes down in value, new doors raise you homes value,
shortsighted indeed.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

m Ransley wrote:
Normin you are so typical, you would rather have a door that costs a few
to many $ more a month to heat and cool your house and drive a mercedes
The mercedes only goes down in value, new doors raise you homes value,
shortsighted indeed.

I was being facetious - trying to illustrate that new, triple width
sliders (we have two sets) would cost a lot. We did get the opening
repaired, after a lot of nagging on my part ) At least you didn't
call me a liberal )
Posted to alt.home.repair
tom

This is what happens when we don't use "emoticons". People just don't
understand our "wryness". Izzat a word? Tom

Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

tom wrote:
This is what happens when we don't use "emoticons". People just don't
understand our "wryness". Izzat a word? Tom

I thought that, of all people, Ransley would "get it". But, then, I
should have said "Toyota Land Cruiser". )

Leaking shower doors Lobster UK diy 15 February 4th 19 07:14 PM
Chantecler Windows and Doors Brian White Home Repair 3 June 6th 16 11:22 PM
Kitchen Cabinet Refacing--beware Quality Doors from Texas! Rock Home Repair 3 September 1st 05 10:53 PM
mdf wardrobe doors gary watson UK diy 10 October 27th 04 04:04 PM
Stripped doors in Edinburg (experience; long) robin UK diy 0 September 1st 03 01:49 PM