Bill

Default Waterproofing for work gloves?

I work in the rain a lot....

What is the best way to keep work gloves from getting soaking wet?

DanG

What trade and why are you wearing gloves?

For the cold and still being able to feel, I prefer the brown
jerseys. Buy a dozen or two. Nothing nicer than changing into
fresh warm gloves. Keep the cold, wet ones somewhere that they
can dry out.

If things are really wet and you don't need to feel, get rubber
gloves. Not the ladies dish washing gloves, the kind used by
glass setters and guys that work in chemicals.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Bill" wrote in message
I work in the rain a lot....

What is the best way to keep work gloves from getting soaking
wet?

Dry and waterproof are mutualy exclusive. If they are waterproof then
you will seat all in the inside anyway.

DS

I used to have a pair of neoprene (like a wet suit divers wear) gloves that
worked fairly well at keeping my hands warm in wet weather, but you will
sweat in them and get damp.
wrote in message
oups.com...
Dry and waterproof are mutualy exclusive. If they are waterproof then
you will seat all in the inside anyway.

Dean Hoffman

In article ,
"Bill" wrote:

I work in the rain a lot....

What is the best way to keep work gloves from getting soaking wet?

Are you talking about leather gloves? What about the waterproofing
products used for boots? Your local boot repair shop should have some
stuff. Even Walmart carries beeswax, I think.

Dean

Edwin Pawlowski

"Bill" wrote in message
I work in the rain a lot....

What is the best way to keep work gloves from getting soaking wet?

Keep them in your pocket.

More seriously, can you wear a rubber glove?

George E. Cawthon

Bill wrote:
I work in the rain a lot....

What is the best way to keep work gloves from getting soaking wet?

Rubber work gloves. Not the little skinny stuff
to keep your hands clean, the real kind that are
heavy rubber with a fiber matrix meant to work in.
Used in lots of industries, e.g., chemical
plants, railroading, but you should be able to
find them at any farm supply.
tom

A pair of thin polypropylene gloves under jerseys, and you can snowball
fight all day. 'Course, they're still wet. Tom

Gene

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 19:18:45 -0800, "Bill"
wrote:

I work in the rain a lot....

What is the best way to keep work gloves from getting soaking wet?

Not too sure, but try linseed oil...Or, ask the local hardware guys.
Bill

"DanG" wrote in message

What trade and why are you wearing gloves?

I am cutting/handling large heavy wet wood logs in Oregon where it rains,
rains, rains. Also various construction work outside.

So wearing gloves to keep hands warm, protect hands from "wear and tear",
and when using a chainsaw I use special chainsaw protective gloves which are
not waterproof and will get wet - then my hands get cold.

It doesn't get real cold around here (maybe 20's sometimes, rarely in the
teens) , so typically leather gloves will work if they are dry. Rubber
gloves are too thin (cold) and I don't think they would last more than a day
with me wearing them. (I wear out gloves quickly.)

The Bald Ass Prairie farm

Hi Bill,
There's no solution and even if they are waterproof, water will drip/run in
from the wrist. I was a construction worker in Holland and now a farmhand in
Canada. When they get wet anyway, but no real mechanical wear, I use close
fitting deerskin gloves $20 that I oil with vegetable oil, not soaked in
oil. That will keep them warm/dry most of the day and the oil smoothes your
skin a bit, over those I can wear work gloves, leather/cloth 3 dollar a
pair, take those off as soon as and let them dry again, use several pairs
and oil them too, that makes it easier to start with just dried ones. The
exhaust of the chainsaw will heat those up nicely in one minute. Real wet
work, cleaning/unfreezing water troughs in winter, I use chemical gloves,
all plastic, and they last about 2 months. As soon as I don't need my hands,
I use felt gloves, made for oilfield workers $20, they take some abuse, are
very warm and can be worn over the deerskin ones or just bare hands. Yes you
always have bulky pockets or one part of your tool belt is stuffed, but warm
hands are nice J

--
The Bald Ass Prairie Farm
This post contains no hidden meanings, no implications and certainly no

"Bill" wrote in message
: "DanG" wrote in message
:
[...]

Bill

"The Bald Ass Prairie farm" wrote in message

...I use close fitting deerskin gloves $20 that I oil with vegetable
oil...

Thanks! That is a great suggestion. Vegetable oil is inexpensive and will
not contain nasty chemicals. I'll try it...

DanG

Bill,
I would sure look at something like these:
https://www1.fishersci.com/Coupon?gid=138161&cid=1342

I hate wearing gloves and will only get them out for hot or sharp
or cold. I need to feel what I do, commercial contractor/
carpenter and get frustrated with the gloves, so I get them large
enough to be able to get them on and off easily. I cannot
imagine you wearing out good rubber gloves any faster than wearing
out leather gloves. These are not your mother's Playtex gloves.

"Bill" wrote in message
"DanG" wrote in message

What trade and why are you wearing gloves?

I am cutting/handling large heavy wet wood logs in Oregon where
it rains, rains, rains. Also various construction work outside.

So wearing gloves to keep hands warm, protect hands from "wear
and tear", and when using a chainsaw I use special chainsaw
protective gloves which are not waterproof and will get wet -
then my hands get cold.

It doesn't get real cold around here (maybe 20's sometimes,
rarely in the teens) , so typically leather gloves will work if
they are dry. Rubber gloves are too thin (cold) and I don't
think they would last more than a day with me wearing them. (I
wear out gloves quickly.)

Philip Lewis

"Bill" writes:
Thanks! That is a great suggestion. Vegetable oil is inexpensive and will
not contain nasty chemicals. I'll try it...

Veg oil is said to go rancid. I'd use a mineral oil instead. Baby oil
is the cheap stuff, if you can stand the scent. Of course, I've heard
that that deteriates the leather... I guess you can't win.

Another thing to consider is finding a pair of wool "undergloves".
Wool stays warm even when wet, by all accounts.

--
be safe.
flip

Michael Daly

On 12-Nov-2005, "Bill" wrote:

What is the best way to keep work gloves from getting soaking wet?

You could consider these - expensive and they will get damp from
perspiration, but they will otherwise stay dry:

http://www.nordic-blue.com/butik/index.asp?sp=e

Mike

LJ

Sno Seal (beeswax based). Got mine from a shoe repair place.

I use it on all my leather gloves & boots. While it doesn't make them
100% waterproof, it's about 90% effective. I can work for a few hours
in a wet garden or shoveling wet snow before I need to swap
gloves/boots for a dry pair.

My hands/feet perspire too much to wear synthetic, 100% waterproof
items. The Sno Seal is a good compromise, so I retain some of the
breathability of a good leather but can work comfortably for a few
hours at a time.

You might want to shop around and try different leathers. I found that
not all leathers are the same. Different animal skins have different
properties, try pigskin or goatskin. The tanning process used can
affect skin properties as well.

I have a pair of goatskin gloves treated with Sno Seal. I love them.
They are thinner than cow leather so more flexible, yet offer almost
the same strength as thicker cow leather. Very very comfortable to
work in, yet very strong.

wrote:

I work in the rain a lot....

What is the best way to keep work gloves from getting soaking wet?

keith

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 19:52:51 -0800, scott21230 wrote:

Dry and waterproof are mutualy exclusive. If they are waterproof then
you will seat all in the inside anyway.

Isn't that the purpose of Gore-Tex? It sure works for boots and other
clothing.

--
Keith

George E. Cawthon

Bill wrote:
"DanG" wrote in message

What trade and why are you wearing gloves?

I am cutting/handling large heavy wet wood logs in Oregon where it rains,
rains, rains. Also various construction work outside.

So wearing gloves to keep hands warm, protect hands from "wear and tear",
and when using a chainsaw I use special chainsaw protective gloves which are
not waterproof and will get wet - then my hands get cold.

It doesn't get real cold around here (maybe 20's sometimes, rarely in the
teens) , so typically leather gloves will work if they are dry. Rubber
gloves are too thin (cold) and I don't think they would last more than a day
with me wearing them. (I wear out gloves quickly.)

They make very tough neoprene gloves on a fiber
base that will last a long time. They are not
thin. I've used them as a young man working as a
laborer-- shoveling, digging trenchs, carrying
iron, etc. Never had one tear. I'm not talking
about those thin things that allow you to feel a
or the president on a dime.
ameijers

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message
Bill wrote:
"DanG" wrote in message

[...]

I've had luck wearing the disposable latex gloves inside the real work
gloves. Hands stay clean and dry, other than a little sweaty.

aem sends...

Jan Flora

In article ,
"Bill" wrote:

I work in the rain a lot....

What is the best way to keep work gloves from getting soaking wet?

Get a can of Huberd's Shoe Grease or a can of Snow Seal.

Heat your oven to 200F. Keep the door open and put your
gloves on the oven rack. Let them get warm/hot. (Watch them --
you don't want to fry the leather.) Then get your can of
waterproofing goop, open it, put the gloves on, dip a finger
into the can and start doing a "washing your hands" motion,
to work the goop into the leather. Repeat as needed.

Get a good coating of the goop on your gloves, then set them
back on the oven rack for awhile and let the heat work the
goop into the leather. You can put the gloves back on after
awhile, and wipe any excess goop off on a rag. The gloves
will be nice and soft and waterproof under some pretty
severe conditions, but the leather won't get softened so
the gloves will wear out faster. They'll be fine.

I live on a beef cattle ranch in coastal Alaska, in a wet climate.
I wear Carhartt brand insulated leather work gloves all winter, and
came up with the above process out of frustration. It works.

Re-goop the gloves as needed. (Doing my process about twice
all winter should do it. Winter last for 7-8 months at my
latitude.)

Jan

--
The way to a man's heart is between the fourth and the fifth rib.
Jan Flora

In article ,
"Bill" wrote:

"DanG" wrote in message

What trade and why are you wearing gloves?

I am cutting/handling large heavy wet wood logs in Oregon where it rains,
rains, rains. Also various construction work outside.

So wearing gloves to keep hands warm, protect hands from "wear and tear",
and when using a chainsaw I use special chainsaw protective gloves which are
not waterproof and will get wet - then my hands get cold.

It doesn't get real cold around here (maybe 20's sometimes, rarely in the
teens) , so typically leather gloves will work if they are dry. Rubber
gloves are too thin (cold) and I don't think they would last more than a day
with me wearing them. (I wear out gloves quickly.)

Have you tried wearing surgical gloves under your leather gloves?
(You know, the kind your doctor and veterinarian buys by the box?
IIRC, they cost about $12 for a box of 100 pairs.)

I put a pair of surgical gloves on under my welding gloves when I
have to arc weld something while standing in water or standing out in
the rain. (It keeps you from getting shocks when the leather welding
gloves get wet. Standing on a piece of woods helps, too, if you aren't
knee-deep in salt water or something.)

Jan

--
The way to a man's heart is between the fourth and the fifth rib.
Jan Flora

Bill wrote:
"DanG" wrote in message

[...]

Sprinkle some baby powder inside the gloves before you put them on.
It makes them easier to peel off, too.

--
The way to a man's heart is between the fourth and the fifth rib.
Kelly E Jones

In article ,
keith wrote:
On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 19:52:51 -0800, scott21230 wrote:

Dry and waterproof are mutualy exclusive. If they are waterproof then
you will seat all in the inside anyway.

Isn't that the purpose of Gore-Tex? It sure works for boots and other
clothing.

That's the purpose, but it doesn't work when it's raining. If it's
raining, then the relative humidity is pretty close to 100%, which
means that moisture inside the garment won't be able to diffuse out.
So, if it's raining, you're still going to be pretty damp if you're
perspiring on the inside.

Kelly

Offbreed

Kelly E Jones wrote:

That's the purpose, but it doesn't work when it's raining. If it's
raining, then the relative humidity is pretty close to 100%, which
means that moisture inside the garment won't be able to diffuse out.

I suspect that if Goretex is wet on the outside, then it has a layer of
water over it, and the fluid acts as a vapor barrier to prevent vapor
inside from leaving.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

replying to Bill, Phillip Fairchild II wrote:
Another good thing to use is mink oil helps condition the leather of the
gloves water proofs them makes it alot easyer to use after they dry from water
dripping in the wrist on a side note what ate the best gloves for warmth I
load flat bed trailers with trucks for a hauling company in ohio it does get
below 0 here alot during the winter I'm trying to figure out the best glove to
stay warm wile doing this I move ramps and tighten down ratchet straps so I
don't really need to feel but they do need to be durable

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ves-49752-.htm