Jon

Default Chimney cap

Hi...for those of you who burn wood for heat. I have a wood stove with a
stainless steel chimney.

I have had a problem over the last week that the chimney cap on the bottom
has fallen off and therefore messed up the draft, causing smoke to enter my
house. No I did notice that alot of creoset (sp) had fallenon the cap and I
think that caused it to fall off.

Two questions.

1. Should I be removing the cap every couple of days and knocking out the
stuff? I am going to be cleaning the chimney in the next couple of days.

2. Should the cap be falling off at all? Is there way of securing that on
so it doesn't fall. I recently bought the house (~6 mths ago), and the
chimeny has been in the house for a while 10years. Is there newer method
of securing that now?

Thanks
Jonathan

Colbyt

"Jon" wrote in message
[...]

I don't have a lot of experience with metal chimneys. Friction fit is all I
have seen. Sounds like it worked as designed since it called a major
problem to your attention.

Chimneys that service a wood stove should be cleaned at least once per year.
Slow smoky fires may require more.

Chimney fires are a lot like a rocket taking off inside your home. I suggest
you clean the thing before you burn again. And then either burn a hot fire
20 minutes per day or check it monthly.

Best wishes.

Colbyt

George E. Cawthon

Jon wrote:
[...]

Not sure if you are serious or what you mean by
"the cap on the bottom." The cap on a metal
chimney is always at the tops to keep rain, snow,
and animals out of the stove. Perhaps if you
explained exactly where this piece is in your
chimney we could answer your question. But, you
should not have to do any maintenance on your
stove pipe more often that once every 2 months no
matter how poorly your stove burns.
Joseph Meehan

Jon wrote:
[...]

It sounds like you have some serious (dangerous) problems and it is time
to call in a profession and get things straightened out.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Ian

The Chimney cap on my chimney is secured with sheet metal screws. I
have a piece of flat steel with a hole in it and a flange. the liner
comes through the hole and the cap is attached to the liner with
screws. The flat metal piece is actually just caulked to the original
chimney flu. All supplies were bought from the wood stove store where I
bought the stove.
Once a year I remove the cap and clean the flexible SS liner. I have
one of those stiff brushes with a piece of rope tied to each end. My
son pulls one piece of rope through the wood stove which pulls the
brush down the liner and then I (standing on the roof) pull the other
piece to pull the brush back up. We repeat this a few times, then
replace the cap and I'm done.

All parts of the pipe should be solidly attached. With something like
bayonet joint or at least (3) sheet metal screws at each slip joint.
Because things happen, and house fire should not. That simple.

Strap bracing may also be advisable. Think in terms of having a raging
chimney-fire going, with white-hot pipe roaring like a jet-engine. (As
I've heard it described.) Under such conditions, everything should stay
together, and threaten nothing. (I'm implying also that, given the
picture so far of shoddy workmanship, _you_ should check all clearances
from flammables, too. That includes lumber behind sheetrock.) Think 3'
between uninsulated pipe and flammables.

In fact, you might be well-served by having your fire marshall check
out the installation. Often it's cheaper to do it right once- certainly
it's safer.

how to convert brick chimney to metal pipe? [email protected] Home Repair 3 October 26th 05 02:17 PM
Chimney / Fireplace Question [email protected] Home Repair 4 December 22nd 04 04:36 PM
Fireplace / Chimney Question [email protected] Home Ownership 15 December 22nd 04 02:12 PM
Chimney Question Rob Gray Home Repair 1 October 21st 04 03:16 AM
[Fwd: Chimney cap replacement questions] RB Home Repair 0 December 26th 03 07:13 PM