George E. Cawthon

Default Chimney cap

Jon wrote:
Hi...for those of you who burn wood for heat. I have a wood stove with a
stainless steel chimney.

I have had a problem over the last week that the chimney cap on the bottom
has fallen off and therefore messed up the draft, causing smoke to enter my
house. No I did notice that alot of creoset (sp) had fallenon the cap and I
think that caused it to fall off.

Two questions.

1. Should I be removing the cap every couple of days and knocking out the
stuff? I am going to be cleaning the chimney in the next couple of days.

2. Should the cap be falling off at all? Is there way of securing that on
so it doesn't fall. I recently bought the house (~6 mths ago), and the
chimeny has been in the house for a while 10years. Is there newer method
of securing that now?

Thanks
Jonathan

Not sure if you are serious or what you mean by
"the cap on the bottom." The cap on a metal
chimney is always at the tops to keep rain, snow,
and animals out of the stove. Perhaps if you
explained exactly where this piece is in your
chimney we could answer your question. But, you
should not have to do any maintenance on your
stove pipe more often that once every 2 months no
matter how poorly your stove burns.