mm

Default Gas oven GE JGRP17 won't light

My friend has gas oven GE JGRP17 which won't light.

Is the total voltage across the thermostat/ignitor/valve circuit 110
VAC or something less, or maybe DC?

I've read a lot of the old threads in this ng, which I greatly
appreciate, Especially by Phisherman and Dan O. Thanks guys.

It seems that the various parts are tested by measuring current and
continuity, but it would make me feel better to know what the voltage
is supposed to be across the thermostat/ignitor/valve circuit.

Is the total voltage 110 VAC or something less, or maybe DC?

The ignitor no longer glows, The oven is only 3 years old and it
has been replaced once. I guess it could be bad again, but first I
want to do all the testing that the ahr archives recommend.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.

mm

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 17:23:55 -0500, "Ed" wrote:

The simplest test is to check the ignitor for continuity, unplug the stove.
You are trying to make an easy job difficult.

I know about that. As I said, I've read a lot of old threads (and
the webpages they point to).

But I'd like to know the voltage anyhow, on the
ignitor/valve/thermostat circuit..

I'm not just a drone or a drudge. I'd like to learn something more
than the minimum.

"mm" wrote:
[...]

Appliance Repair Aid

Hi,

JGRP17

That is part of a full model#.

Is the total voltage across the thermostat/ignitor/valve circuit 110 VAC or something less, or maybe DC?

The ignitor receives 110-120 volts AC....but the ignitor is in series
with the gas safety valve....do not apply 110-120 volts to the gas
safety valve or it will break.

http://www.applianceaid.com/gas.html

A common GE ignitor....
http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=1990