Default Heating and Cooling an Addition - Any Suggestions

In the Spring I am planning on adding a 600 Sq Ft Master Bedroom Suite
to my New Jersey Ranch House. Nothing too fancy, BedRoom, Sitting Area
& Full Bath. It will sit over a crawlspace and be conventionally
framed etc. The rest of my house (2200 Sq Ft), has Oil Forced Hot Air
Heat and Central Air.

What kinds of options would people recommend I consider for Heating and
Cooling the addition?

No

When I did a 700 sq ft addition I was lucky that my existing unit was
over-sized and I only needed to modify and extend the ducting. Get
someone to do an analysis of your situation, current and future.

If existing cant handle then you can put in a separate system or
upgrade your current system to handle the load.

If separate you can continue with oil forced hot air with AC or put in
a gas system if gas is available available. You could also do radiant
heat in the floors with separate AC system depending on budget and
preferences. Radiant can be gas or oil fired boiler.

Dr. Hardcrab

wrote in message
oups.com...
In the Spring I am planning on adding a 600 Sq Ft Master Bedroom Suite
to my New Jersey Ranch House. Nothing too fancy, BedRoom, Sitting Area
& Full Bath. It will sit over a crawlspace and be conventionally
framed etc. The rest of my house (2200 Sq Ft), has Oil Forced Hot Air
Heat and Central Air.

What kinds of options would people recommend I consider for Heating and
Cooling the addition?

I would go with a ductless mini-split system like this:

http://www.sanyo.com/industrial/HVAC...?showFileID=48

(though you are not limited to Sanyo)

or go with a through-the-wall unit (like they have in hotel rooms) like
this:

http://www.amana-ptac.com/amana/products.html

(again, not limited to Amana. GE makes a very nice unit available at Home
Depot)

Patrick Cleburne

"Dr. Hardcrab" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
In the Spring I am planning on adding a 600 Sq Ft Master Bedroom Suite
to my New Jersey Ranch House. Nothing too fancy, BedRoom, Sitting Area
& Full Bath. It will sit over a crawlspace and be conventionally
framed etc. The rest of my house (2200 Sq Ft), has Oil Forced Hot Air
Heat and Central Air.

What kinds of options would people recommend I consider for Heating and
Cooling the addition?

I would go with a ductless mini-split system like this:

http://www.sanyo.com/industrial/HVAC...?showFileID=48

(though you are not limited to Sanyo)

or go with a through-the-wall unit (like they have in hotel rooms) like
this:

http://www.amana-ptac.com/amana/products.html

(again, not limited to Amana. GE makes a very nice unit available at Home
Depot)

I would think that NJ is a bit far north for a heat pump-- unless of course
the OP finds it personally rewarding to send a lot of money to the electric
company during the winter months as well as enjoying having a chilly MBR ;-)