AC

Default Extending Floor in Mobile Home

I have a 30 year old mobile home with a bay window. The bay window is
sagging now and we're going to yank it out. What I would like to do is
actually extend the floor the 22 inches out to gain a bit of space.

The floor joists in the mobile home run vertically down the length of the
trailer, so what I was thinking was just to take 8 foot 2x6s and sister them
on to the existing floor joists, with six feet joined to the existing joists
and then about 2 feet (well, 22 inches) hanging suspended.

What I want to know is whether this is a viable solution. Some people I've
talked to say that I should really be pouring a proper concrete footing if I
want to extend out past the frame of the trailer, while others think that
what I've come up with, if using proper hangers and bolts, should be more
than enough to support the floor above.

--
Aaron Clausen

Joseph Meehan

AC wrote:
[...]

I agree with those who say put in a foundation. What you are suggesting
is likely to twist the frame and that could be the end of that 30 year old
mobile home.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

22" wouldn't put much of a moment-arm on the frame, but how strong the
frame is, is the real question. 2" C- section? 4"? 6"? Supported at the
wheels and the hitch, or jacked-up around the perimeter in various
spots?

I'd say 22" doesn't seem like much of a gain, and if putting a footing
in IS an option, can you make it a lot bigger than 22"? Build as big as
you can get away with, and can afford.

-Dave

SQLit

"AC" wrote in message
[...]

22" sounds do-able. Real question is what is going to be supported by the
extended support.
Have you considered the amount of space your going to loose in the 22" for
the new wall? ( at least 5 inches )

You do not mention the spacing of the 2x6's. When I built my patio cover I
went with 2x8's cause I could extend farther and wider spacing. 18" spacing
instead of 12", in my application.

Red Neckerson

"AC" wrote in message
[...]

all yew need is some cinder blocks and some plywood. Yew can git them at any
construction site....

AC

On Mon, 7 Nov 2005 13:22:18 -0700,
SQLit wrote:

"AC" wrote in message
[...]

Well, I know for certain that there's going to be vinyl windows, and maybe a
chair or something like that. We're not going to put a weight lifting kit
there or anything :-)

You do not mention the spacing of the 2x6's. When I built my patio cover I
went with 2x8's cause I could extend farther and wider spacing. 18" spacing
instead of 12", in my application.

The spacing is 16". I couldn't use 2x8s because the metal frame sits below.
So I'm limited to 2x6s.

--
Aaron Clausen

Colbyt

"AC" wrote in message
On Mon, 7 Nov 2005 13:22:18 -0700,
want to extend out past the frame of the trailer, while others think

that
what I've come up with, if using proper hangers and bolts, should be

more
than enough to support the floor above.

How wide is the center section of the bay?

I agree you can do it without a foundation and get away with it. I am not
convinced that teeing off your existing joists is going to be enough
support. Generally a canter-levered floor must have a lot of joist behind
the extended portion.

Colbyt

6' is the overlap he's anticipating! Quite a bit.

AC

On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 21:56:34 GMT,
Colbyt wrote:

"AC" wrote in message
On Mon, 7 Nov 2005 13:22:18 -0700,
want to extend out past the frame of the trailer, while others think

that
what I've come up with, if using proper hangers and bolts, should be

more
than enough to support the floor above.

How wide is the center section of the bay?

I agree you can do it without a foundation and get away with it. I am not
convinced that teeing off your existing joists is going to be enough
support. Generally a canter-levered floor must have a lot of joist behind
the extended portion.

It will be 12 feet wide.

--
Aaron Clausen

AC

On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 21:36:03 GMT,
Red Neckerson wrote:

"AC" wrote in message
[...]

One of the biggest reasons I was trying to stay away from footings was if I
ever wanted to move or sell the mobile home. If I make modifications that
require sticking something in the dirt, then the mobility goes away, or at
least means tearing out or finding some alternate means of support for the
extended floor.

--
Aaron Clausen

Colbyt

"AC" wrote in message

How wide is the center section of the bay?

I agree you can do it without a foundation and get away with it. I am

not
convinced that teeing off your existing joists is going to be enough
support. Generally a canter-levered floor must have a lot of joist

behind
the extended portion.

It will be 12 feet wide.

I really don't think that is going to work using just hangers and such.
More than likely you can manage to do it without sticking anything in the
dirt but anytime you add on to a MH you lose the ability to move it. The
cost of moving anything over a few years old generally exceeds the value of
the home anyway.

If you want some advice on how you might add on in a non-code compliant
manner just respond to this post. My grandparents lived in an old MH in a
county without building inspection. I learned a lot of cheats over the
years keeping a roof (literally) over their heads.

Colbyt

AC

On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 19:37:54 GMT,
Joseph Meehan wrote:
AC wrote:
[...]

Will 22 inches and windows put that much strain on the frame?

--
Aaron Clausen

Joseph Meehan

AC wrote:
On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 19:37:54 GMT,
Joseph Meehan wrote:
AC wrote:
[...]

On a 30 year old mobile home? It would be a concern to me. Especially
when there is an alternative.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Old Mobile Home Repair [email protected] Home Repair 4 July 17th 05 03:41 PM
old mobile home siding? [email protected] Home Repair 2 June 2nd 05 03:50 AM
Brick underpinning around my mobile home [email protected] Home Ownership 1 April 12th 05 02:56 AM
Home Inspection Listings Patrick Glenn Home Ownership 0 April 25th 04 09:16 PM
using mobile to control appliances at home? John Stumbles UK diy 5 January 12th 04 10:24 AM