flipper

Default can't get 24"-wide insulation. what can i do?

in my garage conversion, the studs in the two inner walls -- i.e. walls
between the outside two bays of the garage -- are about 24" apart. i
was planning on using r13 insulation batts but come to find out that in
my area literally no one has r13 in that size, nor can they get it.
it's 15" or nothing for the 2x4s. so:

how much insulating power am i giving up by going to r11, which i can
get in the right width? remember: these are inner walls; but the space
on either side is unheated.

or maybe i could get the 15" stuff and use 1 1/2 batts per opening?

or i could add more studs.

what do you think?

Wes Stewart

On 4 Nov 2005 11:15:55 -0800, "flipper" wrote:

in my garage conversion, the studs in the two inner walls -- i.e. walls
between the outside two bays of the garage -- are about 24" apart. i
was planning on using r13 insulation batts but come to find out that in
my area literally no one has r13 in that size, nor can they get it.
it's 15" or nothing for the 2x4s. so:

how much insulating power am i giving up by going to r11, which i can
get in the right width? remember: these are inner walls; but the space
on either side is unheated.

or maybe i could get the 15" stuff and use 1 1/2 batts per opening?

or i could add more studs.

what do you think?

Use the R-11. The thermal bridging with added studs would offset any
improvement due to the additional insulation, and it would sure dent
your wallet more than the cost any enegry saving.

Use the loose fille insulation.

Toller

Even after your coldest night I doubt you would notice the difference. R11
is fine; geez, it is only 2 feet wide.

flipper

thanks all -- r11 it is.

SQLit

"flipper" wrote in message
oups.com...
in my garage conversion, the studs in the two inner walls -- i.e. walls
between the outside two bays of the garage -- are about 24" apart. i
was planning on using r13 insulation batts but come to find out that in
my area literally no one has r13 in that size, nor can they get it.
it's 15" or nothing for the 2x4s. so:

how much insulating power am i giving up by going to r11, which i can
get in the right width? remember: these are inner walls; but the space
on either side is unheated.

or maybe i could get the 15" stuff and use 1 1/2 batts per opening?

or i could add more studs.

what do you think?

have you call the contractors? Every time I get ready to insulate I check
the prices at the Borg stores and then call come contractors. They usually
get my check cause they are not any more money and I do not have DIY.

flipper

bill: i think it depends on where you live. i've called a couple of
local HDs and the nearest Lowes and nada.

oh well: guess the r11 is going to have to do.

Charlie S.

"flipper" wrote in message
oups.com...
in my garage conversion, the studs in the two inner walls -- i.e. walls
between the outside two bays of the garage -- are about 24" apart. i
was planning on using r13 insulation batts but come to find out that in
my area literally no one has r13 in that size, nor can they get it.
it's 15" or nothing for the 2x4s. so:

how much insulating power am i giving up by going to r11, which i can
get in the right width? remember: these are inner walls; but the space
on either side is unheated.

or maybe i could get the 15" stuff and use 1 1/2 batts per opening?

or i could add more studs.

what do you think?

I don't know if this link will work for you. Found 23 inch fiberglass on
their site.

Searched the Owenscorning.com web site... (see link below). They sell r13
in the 23" size.

Before reaching this final site the company's search indicated that some
insulation is sold only in certain geographical areas. You may call and
them tell them about your problem. Maybe they'd be willing to help you out.

http://www.owenscorning.com/around/i...ducts/pfgi.asp

DanG

Call an insulation company or any commercial drywall supply house.
24" R 19 batts are normal materials for lay in ceilings. Your
big choices will be whether you want it cut into 2x4,
faced/unfaced.

(top posted for your convenience)
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)