Default Welding Thin Copper

Hi. I am wanting to get into welding, and I have a question for those
who may know. What kind of welder would be used to make a vent like
this http://oldworlddistributors.com/pix_...ryer_vent.html.
Thanks

How do they solder or braze that without ruining the copper?

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
oups.com...
How do they solder or braze that without ruining the copper?

Practice, practice, practice. Just the right amount of heat and the right
amount of solder and the right touch. It is an art

ChrisGW

wrote:
Hi. I am wanting to get into welding, and I have a question for those
who may know. What kind of welder would be used to make a vent like
this
http://oldworlddistributors.com/pix_...ryer_vent.html.
Thanks

That is soldered not welded.

ChrisGW

Would one have to use a flux ? Also, What is the best kind of
reasonably priced torch for this work? Thanks

Bob

wrote in message
ups.com...
Would one have to use a flux ? Also, What is the best kind

of
reasonably priced torch for this work? Thanks

You would use flux. You might want an iron rather than a
torch.

Bob

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message

Would one have to use a flux ? Also, What is the best kind of
reasonably priced torch for this work? Thanks

Always use flux. No torch, but a big iron. The mass of the iron helps to
heat a larger surface.

PipeDown

A 100W soldering iron with a very large tip. These are also used to melt
lead caning for stained glass windows. You could also probably do it with a
lot of other smaller irons but that is a big chunk of copper to get hot in a
small area. It may be called a "Hobby soldering iron" as opposed to one for
electronic use.

The flux depends somewhat on the solder. Rolls of solder for electrical
come with flux inside but lead free solder for plumbing has its own paste
flux on the same shelf at the store. In general you can always use resin
flux (RMA) but it is alcohol based and harder to clean up. There is also
water based fluxes that are easy to clean and will discolor the copper less
(not acidic).

Copper is soft enough to bend over the edge of a counter but for really
clean creases and sharp angles, you will also need a sheetmetal brake. Much
can be done to flatten out mistakes with the right shaped hammers as well
(broad flat face and/or a ball peen hammer).

Now if you wanted to make that out of steel you would do best with a spot
welder since an arc welder would punch through thin sheet metal. An expert
might be able to pull it off with a MIG.

"Bob" wrote in message
. ..

wrote in message
ups.com...
Would one have to use a flux ? Also, What is the best kind

of
reasonably priced torch for this work? Thanks

You would use flux. You might want an iron rather than a
torch.

Bob

PipeDown

One more point. Lead free solder melts at a higher temp but since you will
not be drinking water off a vent, it should be OK to use lead/tin solder

"PipeDown" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

"Bob" wrote in message
. ..

wrote in message
ups.com...
Would one have to use a flux ? Also, What is the best kind

of
reasonably priced torch for this work? Thanks

You would use flux. You might want an iron rather than a
torch.

Bob

Rich

"ChrisGW" wrote in message
Hi. I am wanting to get into welding, and I have a question for those
who may know. What kind of welder would be used to make a vent like
this
http://oldworlddistributors.com/pix_...ryer_vent.html.
Thanks

That is soldered not welded.

ChrisGW

It's also been scotch brited as you can see in the side view at the bottom
where the pivot comes through the scotch brite couldn't get to the area
above and below the pivot revealing that work was done to clean this up
after soldering. Were I work they have a brite dip that they use to remove
the flux residue and any oxidation that took place during the heating then
the brite dip is rinsed off with water.

Rich

Chris Lewis

According to PipeDown :
A 100W soldering iron with a very large tip. These are also used to melt
lead caning for stained glass windows.

Uh, no. A soldering iron isn't hot enough to melt lead. You use ordinary
solder to join lead just as you do with copper.

It may be called a "Hobby soldering iron" as opposed to one for
electronic use.

These irons are usually for stained glass work. There are plumber's
irons, usually around 300W. Which you'll need will depend on the
copper sheet thickness and piece size.

There are also "soldering iron" attachments for standard propane torches.
If you buy a propane torch kit, it'll probably include one.

If you use a soldering iron (or a soldering iron attachment on a torch),
discoloring the copper sheet will be pretty minimal.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Joshua Putnam

In article .com,
says...
Hi. I am wanting to get into welding, and I have a question for those
who may know. What kind of welder would be used to make a vent like
this
http://oldworlddistributors.com/pix_...ryer_vent.html.

If I were doing that, if I wanted a good color match on the joints
I'd probably use self-fluxing copper brazing rod and a small
acetylene torch for good heat control. If the color match on the
joints wasn't important, plain old 60/40 solder and acid flux.

If you're doing thin copper with an oxy-acetylene torch you need to
be careful not to overheat it, but it's a lot faster than doing it
with an electric iron.

--
is Joshua Putnam
http://www.phred.org/~josh/

Is burning copper dangerous RobR Home Repair 11 October 19th 05 03:33 PM
Aluminum wiring... Roy Metalworking 15 February 20th 05 07:20 PM
Copper Casting In America (Trevelyan) Yuri Kuchinsky Metalworking 330 July 21st 04 11:59 PM
gas or not? Joe Metalworking 11 July 29th 03 09:29 AM