blueman

Default Sklyight replacement help

We have an old plexiglass skylight on our (flat) rubber membrane roof.
I would like to replace it with a better quality vented glass unit. I
really only need the vented part so that a couple of times a year, I
can open the skylight and access the roof.

I have googled a fair bit but still have several questions:

1. What brands offer the best quality and selection in glass
skylights?

2. Who is best to install it? (dealer/manufacturer? carpenter? roofer?)
(remember it is not a new installation just a replacement)

3. Is double paned, low-E glass the right option if I want to minimize
heat loss in winter and heat gain in the summer? (we are in New
England)

4. What do I need to be watchful of regarding an installation into an
existing rubber membrane roof?

Thanks
SQLit

"blueman" wrote in message
We have an old plexiglass skylight on our (flat) rubber membrane roof.
I would like to replace it with a better quality vented glass unit. I
really only need the vented part so that a couple of times a year, I
can open the skylight and access the roof.

I have googled a fair bit but still have several questions:

1. What brands offer the best quality and selection in glass
skylights?

2. Who is best to install it? (dealer/manufacturer? carpenter? roofer?)
(remember it is not a new installation just a replacement)

3. Is double paned, low-E glass the right option if I want to minimize
heat loss in winter and heat gain in the summer? (we are in New
England)

4. What do I need to be watchful of regarding an installation into an
existing rubber membrane roof?

Thanks

Glass in the ceiling and New England winter. I think that glass even triple
glazed is not all that good of an insulator. I purchased some double paned
1x4 windows for an application in Phoenix. Wall faces west. I got the middle
E value. There was one higher. I was worried that these two windows were not
going to let in enough light. I should have gone with the highest E and
forgot about the light transmission.

Find some one to install it that will guarantee the roof in writing.

blueman

blueman writes:
We have an old plexiglass skylight on our (flat) rubber membrane roof.
I would like to replace it with a better quality vented glass unit. I
really only need the vented part so that a couple of times a year, I
can open the skylight and access the roof.

I have googled a fair bit but still have several questions:

1. What brands offer the best quality and selection in glass
skylights?

2. Who is best to install it? (dealer/manufacturer? carpenter? roofer?)
(remember it is not a new installation just a replacement)

3. Is double paned, low-E glass the right option if I want to minimize
heat loss in winter and heat gain in the summer? (we are in New
England)

4. What do I need to be watchful of regarding an installation into an
existing rubber membrane roof?

One other addition...
I called over to Velux given that they seem to be highly
recommended. However, I found two challenges with my situation.
1. They make only one model that is truly flat mounted (FCM=flat curb
mount) -- all other models require building up to at least a
15-20 degree angle.

2. They make only one model that opens enough to exit on to the roof
(GPL), but that model comes in only 2 sizes -- neither of which
fits my rough opening.

So, my additional questions a
- Would you recommend building up the curb to 15deg angle even on a
flat rubber membrane roof? If so, what pitch would you use in
Southern New England? And if I do so, will it look "funny" coming
off a flat roof?

- What other *quality* manufacturers have more options (or at least
custom options) for a skylight that can be hinged open for roof
egress?