Toller

Default Paranoid Plumbing Problem

Whilst driving a nail in, I nicked a copper water pipe (3/4" L) on the
backswing with the top of the hammer. It left a little bright mark against
the thoroughly tarnished pipe. Knowing where it is, I can just barely feel
a little crease.

I am telling myself that most pipe is damaged worse than this just in normal
tranportation and installation, but there is that nagging prescience of
disaster.

Harmless?
If it does fail, would it be a drip or a burst? I am not worried about a
drip, as it is in plain view and I would notice it pretty quickly.

Ah, there are days (perhaps months?) I should stay away from tools.

Why is the cold water pipe so tarnished, while the hot water pipe right next
to it is still bright? I would have expected the opposite.

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 23:01:53 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

Harmless?
If it does fail, would it be a drip or a burst? I am not worried about a
drip, as it is in plain view and I would notice it pretty quickly.

If it stays in "plain view", don't worry for the moment.

Ah, there are days (perhaps months?) I should stay away from tools.

I bleed being around sharp instruments, especially if I look at 'em...

Why is the cold water pipe so tarnished, while the hot water pipe right next
to it is still bright? I would have expected the opposite.

Metal transitions in the pipes (types)?

Oren
excused from saving Universes."
Stretch

One question, is the tubing type M(red writing on it), L(blue writing.
or K (Green writing) I would not worry about K(heaviest) or L. M is
the lightest, but would not be a problem for a scratch. If it is a
gouge, you may get a seepage leak years from now, but probably not. I
can't imagine that it would burst in any case.

Cold lines usually tarnish, probably due to oxidation due to high
relative humidity in their environment when the pipe is cold. Room
temperature pipe or warmer would not cause this.

Stretch

Toller

"Stretch" wrote in message
ups.com...
One question, is the tubing type M(red writing on it), L(blue writing.
or K (Green writing) I would not worry about K(heaviest) or L. M is
the lightest, but would not be a problem for a scratch. If it is a
gouge, you may get a seepage leak years from now, but probably not. I
can't imagine that it would burst in any case.

Type L. Seepage won't be good obviously, but it is hardly worth "fixing"
now; especially when I think of the work it will take to get all that
tarnish off.

Cold lines usually tarnish, probably due to oxidation due to high
relative humidity in their environment when the pipe is cold. Room
temperature pipe or warmer would not cause this.

I guess that makes sense.