Sasha

Default Insulation

I want to add R-30 insulation to my attic. So far I used only JM
fiberglass insulation from HD or Lowes. Since now adding attic
insulation will cost me approximately $1000 at least I want to shop a
little bit to see if I can save something. Are there any other brands
that manufacture fiberglass insulation and are worth considering? Are
HD or Lowes the best place to buy fiberglass insulation? JM insulation
is formaldehyde-free? How important is it? Do other manufacturers use
formaldehyde in their fiberglass batts?

louie

I don't think many fiberglass manufacturers use formaldehyde any more,
so being "formaldehyde free" is important but not that unusual
nowadays. HD and Lowes are easy to find and have convenient hours, so
that's one reason to shop there. You might check your local yellow
pages for building supply centers and see if they carry anything, a few
phone calls can save you a lot of money sometimes. HD and Lowes
actually ARE competitive in pricing on some things, not so much on
others so it usually pays to check up on these things once in a while.

Have you considered blowing in insulation instead of batts? It's
actually quite easy for the DIY'er. Most building supply centers
(usually HD and Lowes included) will allow the free use of the blower
if a large enough quantity of insulation is purchased. If you decide
to do this, check into the pros and cons of celulose insulation. I
used some from Coccoon last year and it did wonders for my house's heat
efficiency.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Sasha" wrote in message
oups.com...
I want to add R-30 insulation to my attic. So far I used only JM
fiberglass insulation from HD or Lowes. Since now adding attic
insulation will cost me approximately $1000 at least I want to shop a
little bit to see if I can save something. Are there any other brands
that manufacture fiberglass insulation and are worth considering? Are
HD or Lowes the best place to buy fiberglass insulation? JM insulation
is formaldehyde-free? How important is it? Do other manufacturers use
formaldehyde in their fiberglass batts?

I've never heard of formaldehyde being used in fiberglass batts. In the
attic, it wouldn't matter anyway.

You may want to call a professional to get a price. Many people have been
able to get it done for the same price as buying and doing it themselves.
The pro buys much larger quantities that you will so he gets better prices.

Greg O

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
" You may want to call a professional to get a price. Many people have
been able to get it done for the same price as buying and doing it
themselves. The pro buys much larger quantities that you will so he gets
better prices.

That is what I am finding out.
I can get my attic blown in by a pro for ~$100 more than I can do it
myself. One job I will let someone else do!
Greg

George E. Cawthon

Sasha wrote:
I want to add R-30 insulation to my attic. So far I used only JM
fiberglass insulation from HD or Lowes. Since now adding attic
insulation will cost me approximately $1000 at least I want to shop a
little bit to see if I can save something. Are there any other brands
that manufacture fiberglass insulation and are worth considering? Are
HD or Lowes the best place to buy fiberglass insulation? JM insulation
is formaldehyde-free? How important is it? Do other manufacturers use
formaldehyde in their fiberglass batts?

You're kidding? right? fiberglass insulation is
essentially all the same except for the backing
and the insulation you add should have no backing.

And, most importantly, saying that a brand of
fiberglass insulation is formaldehyde free is as
silly as saying a Delicious apples are peanut
butter free. Just sales BS that is meaningless.
There is no reason that formaldehyde would be in
fiberglass. Hey, it is just glass strands.