Gideon

Default Compact Fluorescent light bulbs?

We have good luck on bulb life. One 26w/100w equivalent bulb in
my office never gets turned off. The bulb currently in that fixture has
been in continuous service for over 3 years.

Gideon

=================

Jack wrote in message
.com...
I have not had luck... I keep wanting them to work so I keep trying
them.. but none seem to last more than 6 months in my applications all
over the house. Regular bulbs at my house also tend to have a very
short life... may be flaky power supply (although I can think of no
reason for that.. I live in a suburb, and have never known of any
problems with our power supply) or my personal theory, my rough and
tumble kids tend to literally shake the house when they roughhouse...
so I am wondering if that leads to shortened lamp life (that may
explain fillament, but would excessive vibration effect the CF bulbs?)

Gideon

What brand and what rated lumen output are you getting
for $0.33 per bulb? Your cost is almost as inexpensive as
incandescent bulbs purchased at four for a dollar.

Gideon

======================

Walter R. wrote

Recently stocked up at Albertsons a 3 bulbs for $ 1.00
(26/100 Watts). Threw out all incandescents except a few
to use with dimmers.

At the prices shown at servicelighting.com it would seemingly
take a hundred years to see a measurable monetary benefit.

Gideon

A good way to estimate the annual cost of operation for any electrical
device which is in continuously operation is to "convert" the watts to
dollars. This is based upon an assumption that the cost of electricity
plus taxes is about 11 to 12 cents per kilowatt hour. So, your 9 watt
bulb costs about $9 per year in operating costs, assuming 24/7 service.

If you are getting electricity at a cost which is significantly different
from $0.11 to $0.12 per kWh, then it is very easy to mentally compute
an adjusted annual operating cost estimate. Likewise, it is easy to
estimate the annual cost if the device isn't operating 24/7.

Math:
1 watt x 24 hr/day x 365 days/year x 1kWh/1000watt-hr x $0.115/kWh
= $1.01/year)

Gideon