James Repetski

Default radon in basement

We did a radon test on our house and found it to be elevated to 6. We were
told that it should have read 4.

It is a big deal to correct this problem. We live in Central New Jersey
near Morristown,

Thank you

Jim

"We live in Central New Jersey
near Morristown, "

Last time I checked, Morristown was still in north jersey.

James Repetski wrote:
We did a radon test on our house and found it to be elevated to 6. We were
told that it should have read 4.

It is a big deal to correct this problem. We live in Central New Jersey
near Morristown,

Thank you
Jim

Look at the Building Science Corporation web site.
They have a diagram of their suggested solution.

Since you haven't told us anything about the way your house is
arranged,
there is no way we can tell you if it is " a big deal " or not.

TB

m Ransley

Who knows if its a big deal, you give no details, start with sealing all
cracks in floor and walls and re test.

"ok picky...we know how smart you are ...where's your answer to the
question?"

If you read the OP, no question was ever posed.

I've looked at a lot of houses with radon systems installed, abd there
is usually a way to do it that's not too invasive.

Get an estimate from a remediator, and they should come up with an
estimate of $1000-$2500. The system is usually a 6-8 inch PVC pipe
stuck through a hole punched into the middle of the basement slab,
there's a motor and fan in the pipe, and the pipe exhausts somewhere
outside the house (in a specific fashion, at a specific location).

I'm not sure if there are kits avail. to the 'public' for doing this,
if you're of a mind to try it yourself. The only real not-off-the-shelf
item is the fan-motor assembly, and the little manometer that tells you
its actually working.

The good thing about having enough radon that you need to install a
system, is that after you install it, you'll have far less radon than
someone who didn't need the system. Properly installed, the systems are
very effective.

A downside to doing it yourself is that you can't rtefer a future buyer
of your house to the installing company. Some people are very skittish
about a house that has a system.

Dave

Tim Killian

James Repetski wrote:
We did a radon test on our house and found it to be elevated to 6. We
were told that it should have read 4.

It is a big deal to correct this problem. We live in Central New Jersey
near Morristown,

Thank you

Jim

You are at the borderline for the EPA radon exposure standard. But many
feel that standard is set at a ridiculously low level. In other words
it's more a product of bureaucratic rectal extrapolation than real
science. Dr. Geno Saccomanno did extensive research on Radon exposure in
Uranium mines and he found that levels as high as 20 pCi/l have no
measurable effects unless the people exposed are heavy smokers.

Fixing the problem usually runs $2500 for a slab vacuum fan and ducts.
If it were me, I'd continue to monitor the levels, but I wouldn't bother
doing anything unless they increased dramatically.