Jack

Default Sstructiral beam repair according to Adam Corolla

Watching the new Adam Corolla's new comedy hour on remodeling his investment
property last night, one of his contractors cut a major structural beam
short by something like 3' at one end. Adam came up with the idea to
sandwich the beam with two pieces of what look like 3/4" plywood and nails
as a fix. I think the inspector is going to flag this. What would be a real
fix other than getting another beam?

SQLit

"Jack" wrote in message
Watching the new Adam Corolla's new comedy hour on remodeling his

investment
property last night, one of his contractors cut a major structural beam
short by something like 3' at one end. Adam came up with the idea to
sandwich the beam with two pieces of what look like 3/4" plywood and nails
as a fix. I think the inspector is going to flag this. What would be a

real
fix other than getting another beam?

Depending on the loading an engineer would have to make some calculations
and be ready to stand by it. Real trick is getting the city to accept it
with out the enginnering.

RicodJour

Jack wrote:
Watching the new Adam Corolla's new comedy hour on remodeling his investment
property last night, one of his contractors cut a major structural beam
short by something like 3' at one end. Adam came up with the idea to
sandwich the beam with two pieces of what look like 3/4" plywood and nails
as a fix. I think the inspector is going to flag this. What would be a real
fix other than getting another beam?

Depending on how big the beam is and what the loads are,
through-bolting steel plates on either side of the beam.

Weld the cut off piece back on.

RicodJour

wrote:
Weld the cut off piece back on.

They can weld wood now...?

Dennis;
My house (located in Massapequa Park, NY) is valued around there.
Really its a nothing special house. Its just the cost of living is
outragiously high. Basically around here we work to pay the mortgage.

Tom

The right fix would be to get another beam. I saw adams fix too and
though WTF???

I didnt understand the logic not getting the steel plate in there.

There are ways of cutting costs on construction, screwing around with a
major
load bearing beam isnt on of them though.

He's going to get flagged big time on that one. It should make for
some interesting drama in some future episode.

Goedjn

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 20:17:17 -0700, "Jack" wrote:

Watching the new Adam Corolla's new comedy hour on remodeling his investment
property last night, one of his contractors cut a major structural beam
short by something like 3' at one end. Adam came up with the idea to
sandwich the beam with two pieces of what look like 3/4" plywood and nails
as a fix. I think the inspector is going to flag this. What would be a real
fix other than getting another beam?

Steel plates, a properly cut and pegged scarf-joint, or
an extra post right under the seam.

Getting a building inspector to believe you about the
scarf joint might be a trick, though.

Jack

"DT" wrote in message
In article , says...

Watching the new Adam Corolla's new comedy hour on remodeling his
investment
property last night, one of his contractors cut a major structural beam
short by something like 3' at one end. Adam came up with the idea to
sandwich the beam with two pieces of what look like 3/4" plywood and nails
as a fix. I think the inspector is going to flag this. What would be a
real
fix other than getting another beam?

Yeah, I wondered the same thing myself. It was a glulam beam, about 4" x
14",
and about 24' long. They 'fixed' it with 2 pieces of 3/4" plywood about 4'
long, screwed to each side. Some of the workers predicted failure, I
suspect
they are building drama for when the inspector makes them tear it out in
future
episodes.

And where is this house located, anyway? I was staggerd by the asking
prices
for the houses in the first episode. Plain little 1000 square foot homes
that
would go for 60K here in northern Ohio were being marketed at
$500,000 - $7000,000.

Dennis

I think its somewhere in Southern California. I see prices for those
fixer-uppers this high too in the Bay Area. Elsewhere you could build as low
as around for $50/ft but in the Bay Area its around $300/ft. plus the
ridiculous price for the land on top on it. If it has any kind of view, say
looking over the Golden Gate Bridge or some such, its in the millions just
for the developed lot. Good thing is property values are coming down
slightly during the last 3 months. Good show, give something to laugh at, or
not what to do or who not to hire.