Default Max Grout Spacing for Showers?

I know that if the spacing between tiles is more than 1/8", you're
supposed to use sanded grout. But is there a practical limit on how
wide the space can be?

There's almost a half inch space between the bottom row of shower
tiles, which have the curved lip cove shape, and the edge of the floor
tiles. When the house was built 45 years ago, the tilesetters covered
up the problem by leaning the bottom of the tiles outward to cover up
the gap. I've retiled all but the bottom row but I'm back to the
original problem. I want to set the bottom row flush against the wall
but I'm not sure even sanded tile will hold if it's filling a gap
almost a half inch wide.

Charles Spitzer

wrote in message
ups.com...
I know that if the spacing between tiles is more than 1/8", you're
supposed to use sanded grout. But is there a practical limit on how
wide the space can be?

There's almost a half inch space between the bottom row of shower
tiles, which have the curved lip cove shape, and the edge of the floor
tiles. When the house was built 45 years ago, the tilesetters covered
up the problem by leaning the bottom of the tiles outward to cover up
the gap. I've retiled all but the bottom row but I'm back to the
original problem. I want to set the bottom row flush against the wall
but I'm not sure even sanded tile will hold if it's filling a gap
almost a half inch wide.

no. i've seen saltillo tiles set at 1" spacing. you could have 2" spaces,
but it would look dumb.

SQLit

wrote in message
ups.com...
I know that if the spacing between tiles is more than 1/8", you're
supposed to use sanded grout. But is there a practical limit on how
wide the space can be?

There's almost a half inch space between the bottom row of shower
tiles, which have the curved lip cove shape, and the edge of the floor
tiles. When the house was built 45 years ago, the tilesetters covered
up the problem by leaning the bottom of the tiles outward to cover up
the gap. I've retiled all but the bottom row but I'm back to the
original problem. I want to set the bottom row flush against the wall
but I'm not sure even sanded tile will hold if it's filling a gap
almost a half inch wide.

Not a good place to put a 1/2 space.
Sanded grout is not for wet areas IMO. Non sanded only in wet areas.

I know you do not want to hear this, but it might be time to consider a deco
band that will fit the space left.

I just retiled my bathroom. Took me a week just to figure out where to
start. I had enough marks on the wall so it looked like a kindergarten chalk
board. I ended up changing from 1/8 to 3/16 joints. The only way I could get
the joints I wanted top and bottom.

Were those Saltillo tiles with the 1" spacing in a shower floor? If
so, do you know if they used sanded grout?

Someone has stated that sanded grout is not good for wet areas. I'd
never heard that, but there's a lot about tile work that I don't know
about.

Charles Spitzer

wrote in message
ups.com...
Were those Saltillo tiles with the 1" spacing in a shower floor? If
so, do you know if they used sanded grout?

Someone has stated that sanded grout is not good for wet areas. I'd
never heard that, but there's a lot about tile work that I don't know
about.

no. i've seen it that wide in house livingrooms and also restaurants, and
yes, it is sanded.

the person who said sanded grout shouldn't be used for wide grout lines is
wrong. it acts like stones in concrete.

PipeDown

wrote in message
ups.com...
I know that if the spacing between tiles is more than 1/8", you're
supposed to use sanded grout. But is there a practical limit on how
wide the space can be?

There's almost a half inch space between the bottom row of shower
tiles, which have the curved lip cove shape, and the edge of the floor
tiles. When the house was built 45 years ago, the tilesetters covered
up the problem by leaning the bottom of the tiles outward to cover up
the gap. I've retiled all but the bottom row but I'm back to the
original problem. I want to set the bottom row flush against the wall
but I'm not sure even sanded tile will hold if it's filling a gap
almost a half inch wide.

Check out the mosaic tile collections at a tile store. I have seen very
narrow tiles that would fit in a 1/2" gap and leave room for smaller grout
lines. I think a border of these would look nicer than a wide grout line.
Many colors of glass or ceramic are available.

Grout Sealant cover Home Ownership 9 March 16th 05 03:14 PM
Grout Sealant cover Home Repair 10 March 16th 05 03:14 PM
Grout Paint...options? djay Home Repair 6 March 13th 05 05:29 PM
Shower tile - verticle seams - caulk or grout? dango Home Repair 3 September 26th 04 11:07 PM
tool for prying old grout out? peter Home Repair 4 March 2nd 04 07:06 AM