KER

Default New Gas Furnace Installation Cost

I recently hired someone to install a new gas furnace in my home (the
old one was basically destroyed during a flood in July). About a month
or so ago, he dropped the furnace off (I prepaid for the furnace but
not installation). Since then he has dropped off the face of the earth
and stopped returning my phone calls.

I had someone else out to give me a quote on installation costs, and
was quoted $850.00 for the install. This is for a 92% efficiency
Tappan unit, which he said would be a fairly straightforward install
(2-3 hours or so with an assistant). The new unit is smaller, so some
of the piping and metalwork would have to be modified, but he said the
gas line and electric would be fine as is. I don't require a new
thermostat. I was wondering if this is a reasonable price for this
amount of work? It seemed a bit high to me, but I really have no basis
for comparison as I've never had work of this sort done in the past.

I'm most likely going to get another quote or two, but I thought
someone here might be able to give me an idea. It's becoming more
imperative now that the weather is getting colder, since we have no
heat.
m Ransley

How much did you pay and for waht size and model unit. You should persue
him to do it

The only way you are going to find out is if you make some phone calls
and get some quotes. The prices you did mention sound cheap to me,
but...

Greg O

"KER" wrote in message

I had someone else out to give me a quote on installation costs, and
was quoted $850.00 for the install.

Seems cheap, especially if it includes all necessary hardware, venting, gas
pipe, what ever!
Be careful, you got a "deal" once already! Be sure the installer is
licensed, and most of all, knows what he is doing! The best price is often
not the best deal. If the installer "hacks" it in and screws it up, it may
cost you much more in service over the years!
Greg

KER

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 18:21:02 -0500, "Greg O"
wrote:

Seems cheap, especially if it includes all necessary hardware, venting, gas
pipe, what ever!
Be careful, you got a "deal" once already! Be sure the installer is
licensed, and most of all, knows what he is doing! The best price is often
not the best deal. If the installer "hacks" it in and screws it up, it may
cost you much more in service over the years!
Greg

True, it's more important to me that it's done right than getting the
lowest price. Since I have no experience having this sort of work
done, my main concern was that I wasn't being overcharged because of
the fact that it's bordering on winter and I have no heat.
Stormin Mormon

I've been a HVAC installer for five years. A 90 percenter typically takes
the boss and myself two men, a full day's work. If it's an identical model,
maybe less time than that.

As you describe, it's a different model. And the old one you didn't say if
it was a 80 or 90 percenter.

850 may well be a fair quote. As the other folks have written, please check
the references of the installer. See if they have experience.

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

"KER" wrote in message
[...]

HeatMan

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
I've been a HVAC installer for five years.

And still don't know squat...

A 90 percenter typically takes
the boss and myself two men, a full day's work. If it's an identical

model,
maybe less time than that.

As you describe, it's a different model. And the old one you didn't say if
it was a 80 or 90 percenter.

850 may well be a fair quote. As the other folks have written, please

check
the references of the installer. See if they have experience.

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.
It's longer in the short run