bill

Default roof flashing

http://www.geocities.com/bill260/gutter.html
Hi: link shows picture of problem. Lower garage roof ties into
side of house. I have step flashing under the vinyl siding and under
each row of asphalt shingles. At roof edge , brick wall sticks out
about one inch and water is getting into it. some how i guess i have
to tie flashing into the brick coursing?? any ideas. thanks bill
tom

Yep, you gotta cut the flashing on the roof side, right at the point
where the brick intrudes, to the bend in the flashing. Tuck the lower
cut under the upper cut to form the kickout. A little discreet caulking
at the intersection on the flashing, and maybe an extra flasher
underneath. HTH. Tom

Robert Allison

bill wrote:

http://www.geocities.com/bill260/gutter.html
Hi: link shows picture of problem. Lower garage roof ties into
side of house. I have step flashing under the vinyl siding and under
each row of asphalt shingles. At roof edge , brick wall sticks out
about one inch and water is getting into it. some how i guess i have
to tie flashing into the brick coursing?? any ideas. thanks bill

What you need is called a brick pocket. Call any sheet metal
fabrication company and tell them what you need. You will
need to draw a diagram with dimensions for them and they will
make up a piece of flashing for you. The brick pocket does
not need to be embedded into the mortar of the brick (although
that is the best way to do it). It is such a small area, that
NP-1 or another high quality caulk can be used to seal the
back of the flashing to the brick.

The installation can be a bear on finished buildings unless
you take off some shingles and siding, so go ahead and begin
with that in mind.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Colbyt

"Pasar" wrote in message
bill wrote in
:

http://www.geocities.com/bill260/gutter.html
Hi: link shows picture of problem. Lower garage roof ties into
side of house. I have step flashing under the vinyl siding and under
each row of asphalt shingles. At roof edge , brick wall sticks out
about one inch and water is getting into it. some how i guess i have
to tie flashing into the brick coursing?? any ideas. thanks bill

You didn't ask this, but from my viewpoint, the downspout from the top
floor should go to the ground and not to the lower roof. It looks "funny"
the way it's set up. I think you are adding more water to the lower roof
than is necessary.

I completely agree with the above. This step alone may get you through till
Spring if necesaary.

I am not completely sure what the brick pocket Robert is referring to looks
like but the water that is coming down the the roof and that which is in the
j-channel, which looks like it is cut short, needs to be diverted to the
gutter. I could make the pieces needed but I doubt that I can tell you how.

Colbyt

Art

I bet if you get the downspout from the upper roof piped to the ground
instead of the lower roof most of your problems will be eliminated. To do
more you would have to peel off the siding. I would fix the downspout and
paint the back inch of the brick with water proofing and see if that fixes
it. Theoretically, you should have weep holes and flashing where your studs
hit the foundation wall and that should be enuf to handle thelittle bit of
water still making thru. But I bet they weren't built properly either.
That is why I never again will go with a brick veneer home.

"bill" wrote in message
http://www.geocities.com/bill260/gutter.html
Hi: link shows picture of problem. Lower garage roof ties into
side of house. I have step flashing under the vinyl siding and under
each row of asphalt shingles. At roof edge , brick wall sticks out
about one inch and water is getting into it. some how i guess i have
to tie flashing into the brick coursing?? any ideas. thanks bill

Art

Even so is it possible that there is splashing going on during bad rain
storms that is adding to your problems.

"bill" wrote in message
thanks. the downspout normally discharges into the lower gutter.

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 12:15:30 -0400, bill wrote:

http://www.geocities.com/bill260/gutter.html
Hi: link shows picture of problem. Lower garage roof ties into
side of house. I have step flashing under the vinyl siding and under
each row of asphalt shingles. At roof edge , brick wall sticks out
about one inch and water is getting into it. some how i guess i have
to tie flashing into the brick coursing?? any ideas. thanks bill

Roof flashing problems spoon2001 Home Repair 7 October 5th 05 12:01 AM
Brick Roof flashing question Art Home Repair 1 April 23rd 04 12:58 AM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry UK diy 3 February 25th 04 02:43 PM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry Home Repair 3 February 25th 04 02:43 PM
Advice on roof flashing for stucco house Quinn Home Ownership 1 September 8th 03 02:05 AM